HIgh School Team Preview: North Vermillion
January 29, 2019
The Louisiana high school season kicks off on February 18, the first day for regular season games. Most teams began practice on January 22nd, getting their rosters set and finalizing their lineups.
Over the next several weeks, leading up to opening day, we will be rolling out team previews of high school teams all across the state and across all classifications, eventually launching our Preseason Power 25.
We have been sending out our annual Preseason Questionnaire to coaches all across the state and as the responses flood in we will bring you a snapshot of what to expect along with top players and keys to success for that particular team. If you don’t see your team’s season preview make sure your head coach fills out his Preseason Questionnaire.
Team: North Vermilion
Head Coach: Jeremy Trahan
2018 Record: 20-14
LHSAA Classification: 3A
LHSAA District: 8-3A
Playoff Run: 2nd Round
2018 Final Rank: 2nd in District
Returning Starters: 9
Returning Pitchers: 4
Stat Rat ( x-factor)
The Patriots return one of the best arms in the state of Louisiana, and possibly the country, as Louisiana-Lafayette recruit, Hayden Durke, made big waves on the national scene this past summer. A strong 6-foot-1, 190-pound right-handed pitcher, Durke will pitch 87-91 mph with his fastball, and has touched 92 mph. Durke is also a force in the middle of lineup alongside 2020 3B/OF Darian Duhon and 2019 C Garrett Becker. Duhon has been a fixture in the North Vermilion lineup since his freshmen season, hitting above .400 in his two high school seasons, and finished the 2018 season with six home runs. Becker gives the Patriots a reliable, athletic defender that can control the running game, and hit .385 last season, and collected 25 stolen bases.
Expectations are high for Coach Jeremy Trahan, as he will field an experienced, and talented roster in 2019. The Patriots return nine every day starters and four pitchers for the 2019 season, and posses one of the more dominating arms in the state at the top of the rotation. A state title is certainly in their sights as they head into the spring, but first they will have to get past district-rival and defending state champion Berwick HS.
- LA PBR Future Games - Day 1 Review 7/29/21
- LA PBR Junior Future Games - Day 1 Review 7/29/21
- LA Commitment Spotlight - 2022 Brylan Green 7/25/21
- LA PBR Louisiana Future Games - "Meet the Team" 7/23/21
- LA PBR Louisiana Junior Future Games (13U) - "Meet the Team" 7/22/21
- LA PBR Louisiana Junior Future Games (14U) - "Meet the Team" 7/22/21
- LA Uncommitted Spotlight - 2022 Dawson Curtin 2/19/21
- LA Game of the Week - St. Paul's vs. Catholic BR 2/17/21
- LA Uncommitted Spotlight - 2023 John Alex Walsh 2/16/21
- LA 2021 Team Preview - Pineville High School 2/12/21