Commitment To UConn Dream Come True For Rizy
July 19, 2021
Interested in attending a PBR New England event? Check out our schedule by clicking here.
Commitment To UConn Dream Come True For Rizy
FISKDALE, Ma. - Growth came quickly. So did a college commitment.
The University of Connecticut will be the college home for Mavrick Rizy.
“They were my second phone call with a college coach after BC,” the fourth-rated 2024 in New England noted. “It started in early January and we had conversations every two weeks. They were very interested.”
And why not? The 6-8 205-pound right-handed pitcher’s fastball has continued to rise, topping out most recently at 91 in June.
“I had a huge growth spurt a year ago,” related Rizy, whose velo was at 81 last October before moving up to 83 in November, 86 in February, 88 in March and now 91. “I’ve been working with Matt Tabor and learned how to use my body and how to use my height. My velo has really jumped in the last two months, mostly due to mechanical stuff. I used to fall down on the mound instead of pushing off and being explosive.”
There was also a change in the body.
“Two years ago I had a knee injury,” Rizy reflected. “I’ve grown six inches since then. I was super skinny. I focused on putting on weight and that’s helped a lot as far as velo.”
In addition to UConn and Boston College, other schools being considered included Maryland, Purdue, VCU, Penn State, Northeastern and Wake Forest.
“I did a couple PBR events and colleges started coming in after that,” pointed out the 11th-ranked sophomore-to-be in New England, a 160-pounder two years ago. “I sent out videos and coach Phil Price set me up with some phone calls. He’s been there since the beginning.”
In addition to the Evolution head coach, Tabor and most recently ex-BC pitching coach Alex Trezzo have been influential in helping Rizy improve on the mound. Not to be forgotten is older brother Kyle Rizy, a recent high school graduate headed to pitch at Bryant.
“He’s taught me a lot,” Rizy said of the 28th-rated 2021 right-handed pitcher in New England. “Not only has he pushed me, but whenever I’d hit a big number, he’d knock me down. He helps me stay humble. He also helps me with the little fixes that need to come to my game.”
UConn liked what they saw in the Worcester Academy 2024.
“One thing that stood out was they said I’m not only a good athlete, but a good student,” noted Rizy, who has a 3.5 GPA and plans to major in biology in college.
Rizy also liked what the Big East Conference university presented.
“Their offer was insane,” Rizy said. “They had my major and they play great baseball. It came down to BC and UConn and those were my first two phone calls.”
It took a pair of visits before making a decision.
“I went for a game when they started letting fans back in,” Rizy reflected. “I walked around the campus to check it out. Then I went back before I committed for a game. I drove around campus and the doors were open to the new athletic center so I went in and got to see the weight room.”
That helped seal the deal for the 16-year-old, who lives a half hour from the university.
“It was an extremely tough decision, I loved both of the coaches,” Rizy said of choosing between the two programs at Connecticut and Boston College. “It really came down to they had my major and when I stepped on the campus at UConn I had the same feeling as I did at Worcester. I felt like I belonged there.”
The commitment culminated aspirations of playing baseball in college that had been around since youth.
“Ever since I was a kid I’ve always dreamed of playing at the next level after high school,” Rizy noted. “It was surreal when colleges started coming in. It’s a dream come true that I could do this.”
- NPI: Impact Underclassmen (Committed) - Jun 23, 2022
- 2024 Rankings: Regional Breakdown (I-95 Corridor) - Oct 6, 2021
- Results From 2021 New England Underclass Games II - Aug 26, 2021
- 2021 New England Underclass Games II - Quick Hits - Aug 26, 2021
- Commitment To UConn Dream Come True For Rizy - Jul 19, 2021
- Results From 2021 Scout Day: Evolution Baseball - Feb 8, 2021
- 2021 Scout Day: Evolution Baseball - Quick Hits - Feb 8, 2021
- New England 2024s - Oct 22, 2020
- Results From 2020 Central Mass Showcase - Sep 28, 2020
- 2020 Central Mass Showcase - Quick Hits - Sep 28, 2020
- Results From 2020 All New England Underclass Games I - Aug 13, 2020
- 2020 All New England Underclass Games I - Quick Hits - Aug 13, 2020
- 2020 New England Top Prospect Games - Quick Hits - Jul 6, 2020
- Results From 2020 New England Top Prospect Games - Jul 4, 2020
- 2020 Scout Day: Evolution - Complete Evaluations - Feb 29, 2020
- Results from 2020 Scout Day: Evolution - Feb 10, 2020
- 2020 Scout Day: Evolution - Top Performers - Feb 10, 2020
- 2020 Scout Day: Evolution - Quick Hits - Feb 10, 2020
- 2020 Scout Day Spotlight: Evolution Baseball - Jan 29, 2020
- NEW ENGLAND Commitment To Northeastern ‘Special’ For Criscola 11/30/23
- NEW ENGLAND Andrews Ecstatic To Have Opportunity From Northeastern 11/29/23
- NEW ENGLAND Rovinelli Will Bring Competitiveness To Columbia 11/28/23
- NEW ENGLAND Hard Working Iovino Staying Close To Home At Merrimack 11/28/23
- NEW ENGLAND Commitment To UConn ‘A Dream Come True” For Margolies 11/20/23
- NEW ENGLAND Gray Excited For Baseball Life Ahead At Sacred Heart 11/20/23
- NEW ENGLAND Results From 2023 Scout Day: Berkshire Bears 11/20/23
- NEW ENGLAND Rembish Excited To Play In The South At Wofford 11/16/23
- NEW ENGLAND Fagnant Continues Family Tradition In The Sport Of Baseball 11/15/23
- NEW ENGLAND Signing Period- Division 1 Recruiting Class Breakdown 11/15/23