The Virginia/DC Most Viewed Profile of 2017
January 2, 2018
Since its inception in 2005, the Prep Baseball Report has evolved into one of the country’s biggest and most respected independent scouting services, with a singular focus of providing comprehensive year-round coverage in every state we are in. The mission of the Prep Baseball Report is to scout and promote high school baseball and, ultimately, help prep athletes achieve their dreams of playing baseball at the next level.
The Prep Baseball Report is the No. 1 resource for high school baseball in each state we cover through our variety of events, boots-on-the-ground scouting staff, daily coverage, and multimedia platforms. Our multimedia platforms and events work in tandem, ultimately creating the most powerful source of high school baseball promotion in each state. While other organizations take a national approach, our goal is to become the authoritative voice on the ground level of each state. Evident in the fact that Prep Baseball Report has more full-time scouts than any other independent amateur scouting company in the country.
Coaches and scouts alike are always looking to find the most updated information when traveling the scouting circuit and recruiting players. Prep Baseball Report has become a first stop for all coaches to find that information. Player profiles are the most used resource on our site and today PBR Virginia/DC continues our breakdown of the top 50 viewed profiles of 2017. Today we give you the most viewed profile of the year.
Class of 2017 / LHP
Graduating Class: 2017Commitment: Virginia
Primary Position: LHP
High School: Halifax CountyState: VA
Height: 6-0Weight: 175lbs
- Bat/Throw: L/L
10/23/16 - Abbott, a 5-foot-11, 155-pound Virginia recruit, is a strike-pumping machine. He opened the game with 10 straight strikes and continued to pinpoint his 85-87 mph fastball and shuffle in his 70-mph breaking ball consistently to keep hitters off balance. Abbott works slightly across his body from a 3/4 slot, providing some deception to his delivery. Abbott pitched 6.1 innings, yielding five hits and one run while striking out eight and walking none. He threw 71 of his 102 pitches for strikes.
7/15/16 - The best performance of the first day was undoubtedly produced by LHP Andrew Abbott (Halifax County HS, VA). The Virginia recruit started for the Canes against SACSN, the second game of the day, and went four innings. He allowed just one run on two hits, didn’t walk anybody and struck out nine. He was in command early, pounding the strike zone and consistently hitting his spots. Abbott has a slight frame at 6 feet, 155 pounds and lands closed, pitching across his body, while sitting 84-86 mph with his fastball. He spins a good curveball, which ranged from 68-73 as he went used it for swings and misses as well as a get-me-over pitch. It has 2/8 shape. He threw just one changeup, but it was a good one with fade at 76.
6.1.16: Abbott is a lanky left that throws from a low three-quarters arm slot with a drop and drive delivery. His arm action is short and quick, throwing with normal effort. Shoulders are closed and slightly downhill, closed landing with a fall off finish, classic lefty crossfire. Hides ball well, lots of deception, fastball has good angle and slight run, sitting 85-86 early, touching 87, before settling in to 83-85 late in the game. Big, sharp 1/7 curveball running 67-71. Showed that ability to move both pitches in and out, up and down.
6.1.15: Abbott is a lanky lefty that throws from a high three-quarters slot with a slight drop and drive delivery. His shoulders are closed and level and he lands closed, leading to a classic lefty crossfire delivery that hides the ball well. His arm action is short, free, and very quick. His fastball has good plane and some sink and touched 84 in the first inning before settling into 80-83 for the duration of his nine innings. Abbott threw a great power 1-7 curveball that ran 67-71. He demonstrated great command of both pitches, moving them in and out and pounding the strike zone. He was especially good at backfooting his curveball to righties for strikeouts. Abbot also is a very athletic defender, making a tough play on a push bunt, including a lunging glove flip to first base.
- VA/DC 2021 MLB Draft Recap - Jul 14, 2021
- Tale of Tape: Andrew Abbott vs Jordan Wicks - May 24, 2021
- College Crosscheck: Prospects of the ACC, Big Ten and West Coast - May 20, 2021
- MLB Draft: VA/DC Players to Watch - Jun 10, 2020
- USA Collegiate National Team Pitchers: Part 1 - Jul 1, 2019
- Best of the Cape: Ranking the Left-Handed Pitchers - Sep 5, 2018
- 2018 Cape Cod: Orleans Prospect Reports - Aug 17, 2018
- The Virginia/DC Most Viewed Profile of 2017 - Jan 2, 2018
- Top Stories Of 2017 - Dec 27, 2017
- 2017 All-PBR VA/DC Team - Jul 14, 2017
- The Hotlist: 2017 State Players Of The Year - Jun 21, 2017
- Virginia State Player Of The Year Announced - Jun 19, 2017
- VA/DC 2017 Player of the Year Finalists: Part 2 - Jun 15, 2017
- Briar Woods Wins 5A Title in Marathon - Jun 11, 2017
- Virginia Draft Preview - May 31, 2017
- VA/DC Updated Class of 2017 Rankings - Apr 26, 2017
- VA/DC Games of the Week: March 27-April 1 - Mar 27, 2017
- Games of the Week: March 13 - Mar 13, 2017
- VHSL 5A 2017 Preview - Mar 8, 2017
- 2017 Pre-Season All-PBR 1st Team - Feb 9, 2017
- VA/DC Pre-Season Pitcher of the Year Candidates - Feb 1, 2017
- Looking Ahead: 2017 VA/DC Public Schools 5A-6A - Jan 5, 2017
- Most Viewed Profiles of 2016: No.3 Andrew Abbott - Dec 21, 2016
- VA 2017 Rankings: First Look - Nov 2, 2016
- Digging In: Jupiter Day 3 Brain Dump - Oct 23, 2016
- Virginia/DC Scout Blog - Sep 29, 2016
- Metropolitan Baseball Classic: Day 1 Notebook - Jul 15, 2016
- 2016 All-PBR VA/DC Team - Jul 1, 2016
- VHSL 5A All-State Team - Jun 23, 2016
- Updated VA/DC All-State Watch List - Jun 3, 2016
- Previewing Tonight: June 1 Regional Semifinals - Jun 1, 2016
- Menders Sends Mountain View to First State Berth - Jun 1, 2016
- Daily Roundup: May 26 - May 26, 2016
- VHSL 5A North Region Preview - May 24, 2016
- Mid-Year All-State Watch List - May 5, 2016
- Daily Roundup: April 12 - Apr 13, 2016
- Daily Roundup: March 24 - Mar 25, 2016
- VA/DC 2016 Pre-Season All-State Watch List - Mar 16, 2016
- 2017s Who Could Represent VA/DC at Super 60 - Feb 9, 2016
- 2016 Season Preview: Halifax Comets - Feb 2, 2016
VA 2017 Recap