2018 PBR Simul-Draft
June 7, 2018
1ST ANNUAL SIMULDRAFT
How did the crew at Prep Baseball Report do ranking and selecting prospects during the 2018 draft?
We assigned ourselves the average bonus pool (15th at $8.46M) and selected immediately following the Marlins, who had the 14th ($8.66M) overall bonus pool.
Without much knowledge of prospect signability, medical issues, personality/pysch testing and several other sources of information that MLB clubs rely on to make their selections, we were at a distinct disadvantage when it came to off-the-field information. However, with our extensive prospect coverage from boots-on-the-ground scouting, we selected a team of prospects for ourselves. Here’s what we came up with in 2018.
Each pick was made in real time as the draft was taking place.
|1/13b||Matt Liberatore||Mountain Ridge HS, AZ||$3,497,500|
|2/53b||Alek Thomas||Mount Carmel HS, IL||$1,200,000|
|2/69b||Jeremy Eierman||Missouri State||$1,232,000|
|5/147b||Devlin Granberg||Dallas Baptist||$40,000|
|6/177b||Isaiah Carranza||Azusa Pacific||$175,000|
|Pool $ spent:||$8,121,300|
|11/327b||Kyle Datres||North Carolina||$125,000|
|12/357b||Davis Martin||Texas Tech||$130,000|
|14/417b||Josh Green||Southeast Louisiana||$5,000|
|15/447b||Eddy Demurias||South Carolina||$125,000|
|16/477b||Brett Daniels||North Carolina||$1,000|
|20/597b||Connor Coward||Virginia Tech||$1,000|
Update: DNS indicates the prospect Did Not Sign and returned to college.
There is obvious risk in the number of pitchers we selected who have past medical issues like Beck, Carranza, Thompson, Skubal and Martin. However, our picks also include potential all-stars in Liberatore and Thomas, low risk performers like Byrne, Granberg and Demurias, as well as tooled position players in Eierman, Liput, Davis and Miller. Although we may have occasionally disagreed with the MLB scouting industry on the value of certain prospects, we kept it simple and selected the next most talented player on our draft board.
- PBRPlus 2018 Year in Review: Top MLB Draft Stories 12/28/18
- PBRPlus Signing Deadline Winners, Losers And Sleepers 7/09/18
- PBRPlus Top Unsigned High School Draft Prospects 7/06/18
- PBRPlus 2018 MLB Draft: Day 3 Notes 6/07/18
- PBRPlus 2018 PBR Simul-Draft 6/07/18
- PBRPlus 2018 MLB Draft: Day 2 Notes 6/06/18
- PBRPlus PBR Draft Board Best Available 6/05/18
- PBRPlus 2018 MLB Draft: Day 1 Notes 6/05/18
- PBRPlus Draft Forecast: Houston Astros 6/01/18
- PBRPlus Draft Forecast: Cleveland Indians 6/01/18
- PBRPlus Draft Forecast: Los Angeles Dodgers 6/01/18
- NEW ENGLAND New England Draft Preview 6/01/18
- KY Kentucky Draft Preview 6/01/18
- IN Indiana Draft Preview 6/01/18
- FL Florida Draft Preview 6/01/18
- GA Georgia Draft Preview 6/01/18
- CA California Draft Preview 6/01/18
- VA Delaware/Maryland/Virginia Draft Preview 5/31/18
- MO Missouri/Kansas Draft Preview 5/31/18
- NJ New Jersey Draft Preview 5/31/18
- NC North Carolina Draft Preview 5/31/18
- PBRPlus Draft Forecast: Arizona Diamondbacks 5/31/18
- PBRPlus Draft Forecast: Boston Red Sox 5/31/18
- PBRPlus Draft Forecast: Washington Nationals 5/31/18
- TN Tennessee Draft Preview 5/31/18