Alonso Defeats Gaither Behind Aleman's 13 Ks
March 11, 2018
University of Tampa, FL- On a rainy night to close things out on the first day of the Tony Saladino Tournament, the Alonso Ravens took on the Gaither Cowboys which featured strong pitching from both sides along with a key RBI hit which proved to be the game winner as the Ravens came away with the 2-0 victory. 2018 RHP Franco Aleman (Alonso HS, FL) earned the victory for the Ravens as he went six innings, striking out 13 and allowing only one hit with no walks and no runs scored.
Aleman’s velocity may have been down a little bit than we’ve seen in the past, but he was every bit as dominant on the mound as the Florida International recruit shut down the Gaither lineup. He worked mostly at 87-89 mph, touching 90 and 91 occasionally with his fastball, along with a 72-75 mph curveball that showed hard break and depth, inducing multiple swings and misses. Aleman seemed to get stronger as they game went on as he racked up 13 strikeouts, including striking out the side in the second and in his final inning of the night in the sixth. Aleman has a tall, projectable frame and will continue to be a high follow throughout the spring leading up to the draft.
On the other side, 2018 RHP Anthony Alvarez (Gaither HS, FL) also kept the Alonso off-balance for most of the night as he worked with a good pace, mostly at 84-87 mph, touching 88 with his fastball along with a 74-75 mph slider that showed depth and late action, throwing it for strikes. The Hillsborough CC recruit would take the hard luck loss in the effort, striking out X and allowed two runs in 4 2/3 innings.
With it still scoreless in the bottom of the fifth, 2019 IF Andrew Lara (Alonso HS, FL) finally broke the game open with a two-run single into right field to give the Ravens a 2-0 lead. The Cowboys would threaten in the sixth and seventh, but they couldn’t push anything across as the Ravens held on for the victory.
With the win, the Alonso Ravens moved to 1-0 in pool play while the Gaither Cowboys will look for their first win of the tournament on Monday.
Scout Notes- SUBSCRIBE TO SEE NOTES AND VIDEO
RHP Franco Aleman, RHP, Alonso HS, FL (2018)
- FL Tampa Catholic Scout Day: Standouts 11/22/23
- FL Tampa Catholic Scout Day: Statistical Analysis 11/20/23
- FL Florida 2024 Rankings: Fall Update 11/15/23
- FL 2023 Rising Stars State Games: Data Dive, Position Players 11/01/23
- FL 2023 Rising Stars State Games: Data Dive, Pitchers 10/31/23
- FL 2023 Rising Stars State Games: Statistical Analysis 10/30/23
- FL 2023 Rising Stars State Games: Preview 10/27/23
- FL 2023 Sophomore State Games: Data Dive, Position Players 10/25/23
- FL 2023 Sophomore State Games: Data Dive, Pitchers 10/24/23
- FL 2023 Sophomore State Games: Statistical Analysis 10/23/23