Ashe Russell Back On The Recruiting Market
July 22, 2014
By Nathan Rode
With recruiting sped up to the point where rising sophomores and juniors are verbally committed, it’s rare for top-flight prospects to be available as they head into their senior year. But RHP Ashe Russell (Cathedral HS, IN) has decommitted from Notre Dame and is back on the market.
“It’s been a discussion with my family the past few weeks,” said Russell, who is the No. 2-ranked overall prospect in the Prep Baseball coverage area. “We’ve had discussions with admissions and it boiled down to grades.”
To be sure, Russell isn’t a bad student. He carries a 3.0 GPA right now, but that was going to fall short of where he needed to be to get into Notre Dame so he decided to open things up and explore other options now, rather than waiting until later in the game.
Russell said South Carolina and Vanderbilt are at the top of his list, but he is doing his due diligence and Florida, Indiana, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Virginia are among schools in the mix.
At 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, Russell is very projectable and has an electric arsenal already. He can pitch at 92-94 mph, touching 95-96 routinely. He complements his fastball with a sharp slider at 79-81 with power and depth.
More Indiana News
- IN Midwest Future Games Spotlight: 2016 LHP/1B Cameron Beauchamp7.21.14
- IN Q&A with 2014 Heidelberg Commit; Zach Cleaver (Bloomington North)7.21.14
- IN Q&A with 2015 Indiana State Commit; Clay Dungan (Yorktown HS)7.21.14
- IN Top Prospect Games: Gold Team Analysis 7.18.14
- IN Midwest Future Games Spotlight: 2016 RHP Justin Reed7.18.14