Flashback - History of the Winter Border Preview Showcase
January 23, 2015
On February 15th, PBR Ohio will travel to Owens Community College in Toledo for the Border Preview. This event has proven to be rich with talent from Northwest Ohio, Michigan, and Ontario. For more information and to register, please click here.
Quotes from Previous event Participants
"Any PBR event is worth going to. You want to get yourself as much exposure as possible and PBR does a great job of exposing young players." - Jimmy Crabtree, RHP/OF, Utica HS Kent State recruit, 2016
"PBR was important in my recruiting process because the results of my events increased my exposure." - Adam Wolf, LHP, Edison HS/Louisville recruit, 2015
"PBR provided opportunities for me to get noticed and helped me pursue my dream of becoming a Division I college baseball player." - Kyle Benyo, OF, Austintown Fitch/IMG Academy/Youngstown State recruit, 2015
"PBR gave me excellent exposure and it was actually how BG first saw me." - Axel Bueter, LHP, Wauseon HS/Bowling Green recruit, 2014
The 2014 event included players from Ohio as well as Michigan and Ontario featured 40 plus players that have since gone on to commit to a college program. Edison 2015 LHP Adam Wolf continued to show improvement, leading to several early offers in the spring time. Meanwhile a trio of underclassmen, Beavercreek 2016 LHP Jackson Tedder (Virginia recruit), Utica 2016 RHP/OF Jimmy Crabtree (Kent recruit), and Napoleon's Layne Schnitz-Paxton, all had breakout performances, which earned them invitations to the Future Games.
- Edison 2015 LHP Adam Wolf's (Louisville recruit) performance proved to be just the beginning of his upward climb on recruiting boards. Over the course of February, he showed jumps in his velocity that culminated in this event's showing, which included an 85-88 mph fastball along with command of both his curveball and changeup.
- Beavercreek 2016 LHP Jackson Tedder (Virginia recruit) showed a similar climb to Wolf as his velocity jumped from earlier in the month and continue that trajectory through the spring and summer. Tedder showed off the smooth, easy delivery that captured the attention of the nation's top schools at the Top Prospect Games and Future Games.
- Utica 2016 RHP/OF Jimmy Crabtree (Kent State recruit) put his name atop nearly all the relevant statistical categories. Within months of the event, Crabtree ended his recruitment with a commitment to the Golden Flashes.
- Marshall 2015 IF Drew Devine (Western Michigan recruit) proved to be the top overall infielder at the event with fluid actions in the field and a swing that should hit for average at the next level.
- Austintown Fitch 2015 OF/RHP Kyle Benyo (Youngstown State recruit), who has since transferred to IMG Academy in Florida, displayed power at the plate and athleticism in the field, leading to a TPG invitation.
- Two future Saginaw Valley recruits showed well as Traverse City West 2015 RHP Max Ludka sat in the low-80s with a sharp 70-73 mph curveball and Wauseon 2015 RHP Nate Suntken sat in the mid-80s with some life to his fastball.
- Mount Vernon 2015 OF Ryan Fitzgerald (Oakland recruit) picked up a TPG invite after running a sub-7.00 60, arm strength from the outfield, and switch hitting abilities at the plate.
- Ontario's Noah Renaud lit up the stop watches with an impressive 6.63 60-yard dash on a hard indoor track.
- Defiance 2014 RHP Jacob Green (Defiance College recruit) had one of the top fastball velocities at 85 mph while also showcasing a sharp 12/6 curveball at 72 mph.
- Despite being one of youngest players in attendance, Lowell 2017 RHP Jarrod Melle, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound freshman at the time, showed potential sitting in the low-80s.
The 2013 roster featured 24 players that have since gone on to commit to a college program. Of those 24 players, three were selected to participate on Team Ohio in the Future Games.
- West Holmes 2014 southpaw Butch Baird committed to Louisville shortly after the event. The lefty showed a mid-to-upper-80s fastball along with good two-plane breaking ball.
- Defiance 2014 IF/RHP Austin Hancock (Olney JC recruit) may have been the most toolsy prospect in attendance.
- Tippecanoe 2014 RHP Ben Hughes (Eastern Illinois recruit) showed of a low-to-mid-80s fastball along with command of multiple off-speed pitches.
- Wauseon 2014 RHP Ty Suntken lit up the radar gun with an 87-88 mph fastball that eventually earned him a scholarship at Ohio University
- A pair of future Bowling Green recruits showed well at the event as Wauseon 2014 LHP Axel Bueter improved from his last appearance at a PBR event with a 84-85 mph fastball while Toledo Christian 2014 LHP Dakoda Brown displayed a smooth, clean delivery to go along with an 80-82 mph fastball and command of his off-speed pitches.
- Edison 2015 LHP Adam Wolf (Louisville recruit) was just learning how to use his body at the time. The big, gangly southpaw's fastball fluctuated between 81-85 mph and he showed some potential with his breaking ball.
- Oakland would eventually pull a pair of participants in the Gahanna Lincoln duo of 2015 RHP Cole Gibson and 2015 IF Bradley Hull.
- Lastly, we were able to see early glimpses of two freshman, Paulding 2016 RHP Damon Egnor and Utica RHP/OF Jimmy Crabtree (Kent State recruit) that have since proven to be Division I recruits.
SCOUTING NOTES FROM 2014
For now, we take you back to a few of our scouting notes from last year's event ...
+ Jimmy Crabtree, OF/RHP, Utica HS/Kent State Recruit, 2015
6-foot-1, 190-pound prospect that projects best as a pitcher. Big time arm that continues to get more polished as he matures. Long arm action with some quickness. Tends to pause at height of leg kick. Will only continue to get better as lower half improves. Sat 85-87 mph with arm side run. Breaking ball sat at 66-69 mph with late 11/5 action. Third pitch is a 69-71 mph split-finger fastball with good tumble. Shows raw tools as a position player. Ran a 6.94 60 yard dash. From the outfield, he throws through a 3/4 arm slot. Reached a top velocity of 91 mph with carry to his throws. Has some accuracy issues. Corner outfield type as his footwork needs to improve. At the plate, he shows big time raw power. Starts with an open stance. Tends to bar in his load. Uphill path to the ball. Obvious pull power. Top exit velocity of 90 mph.
+ Drew Devine, SS, Marshall HS (MI)/Western Michigan Recruit, 2016
5-foot-11, 148-pound infield prospect with athletic frame. Showed good feel for middle infield position. Footwork is fluid. Creates angles and shows athleticism. Uses short arm action with a quick transfer. Reached a top velocity of 80 mph. At the plate, the right-handed hitter starts in an athletic, open stance. Uses a short stride with good use of his lower half. Hands work well through the zone with fluid rhythm to his swing. Top exit velocity of 81 mph arm strength.
+ Adam Wolf, LHP, Edison HS/Louisville Recruit, 2015
6-foot-5, 210-pound southpaw keeps looking better each time out. His lower half shows signs of improvement, and there is still room to improve. But, it is February. He is a 6-foot-5, 210-pound lefty. And, the arm is quick. On this occasion, he was the best that we have seen him at a consistent 85-88 mph with good cutting action to his fastball. His breaking ball show late 10/4 action down in the zone at 68-71 mph. And, he continues to show command of a third pitch in the form of a 73-76 mph changeup. The reality is that Wolf is far from reaching his ceiling. And, for that reason, he should get his fair share of college coaches at his spring outings.
+ Jackson Tedder, LHP/OF, Beavercreek HS/Virginia Recruit, 2016
6-foot, 165-pound southpaw has quietly emerged as one of the top southpaws to come on our radar this winter. Throws with some quickness through 3/4 arm slot with long, loose arm action. Will be exciting to see him continue to make jumps over the next 6-18 months. Delivery is repeatable. Actions just look easy and natural. Fastball shows good run at 80-81 mph. Breaking ball has sharp, two-plane action at 71-74 mph. Also demonstrated command of a 73-76 mph changeup thrown near fastball arm speed. Definite follow.
Top Pop Time
Top Catcher Velocity
Top INF Velocity
Top OF Velocity
Top Exit Velocity
Top 60 time
COLLEGE COMMITMENTS FROM EVENT
|Aaron Gonzalez||MI||L'Anse Creuse||2015||C||Northwood|
|Austin Hancock||OH||Defiance||2014||SS||Olney JC|
|Axel Bueter||OH||Wauseon||2014||LHP||Bowling Green|
|Azim Qadri||OH||Walsh Jesuit||2015||OF||Ohio State|
|Ben Hughes||OH||Tippecanoe||2014||RHP||Eastern Illinois|
|BJ Donathan||OH||Tippecanoe||2014||C||King University|
|Brad Croy||OH||Ottawa Glandorf||2015||2B/MIF||Bowling Green|
|Bradley Hull||OH||Gahanna LIncoln||2015||2B/MIF||Oakland|
|Butch Baird||OH||West Holmes||2014||LHP||Louisville|
|Carl Brubaker||OH||Archbold||2015||1B||Mott Community College|
|Clay Tefft||OH||Wauseon||2014||RHP||Shawnee State|
|Cole Gibson||OH||Gahanna Lincoln||2015||RHP||Oakland|
|Dakoda Brown||OH||Toledo Christian||2014||LHP||Bowling Green|
|Daniel Mitri||OH||NDCL||2015||C||Sinclair CC|
|Drew DeVine||MI||Marshall||2016||SS||Western Michigan|
|Evan McDonald||OH||Logan Elm||2015||C||Fairleigh Dickinson|
|Hunter Holcomb||MI||St. Clair Lakeshore||2014||RHP||St. Clair County C.C.|
|Jacob Green||OH||Defiance||2014||RHP||Defiance College|
|Jake Trejo||OH||Wauseon||2013||C||South Carolina - Sumter|
|Jarrett Peters||OH||Bloom Carroll||2014||C||Seton Hill|
|Jason Burkett||OH||Maumee||2014||SS||Ohio Northern|
|Jimmy Crabtree||OH||Utica||2016||RHP||Kent State|
|Jordan Bostater||OH||Bryan||2014||1B||Ohio Northern|
|Kyle Benyo||OH||Austintown Fitch||2015||OF||Youngstown State|
|Logan Vallie||MI||Muskegon Mona Shores||2015||2B/MIF||Hope College|
|Max Ludka||MI||Traverse City West||2015||RHP||Saginaw Valley State|
|Mitch Cromley||OH||Bowling Green||2015||RHP||Cuyahoga CC|
|Nate Suntken||OH||Wauseon||2015||RHP||Saginaw Valley State|
|Nick Ely||OH||Aurora||2015||3B||Notre Dame College|
|Pete Zeimis||MI||Utica Eisenhower||2015||3B||Davenport|
|Ryan Fitzgerald||OH||Mount Vernon||2015||OF||Oakland|
|Santiago Martinez||OH||Gahanna Lincoln||2015||OF||John Carroll|
|Shiloh Turner Jr.||OH||Charles F. Brush||2014||OF||Tiffin|
|Wes Rickenberg||OH||Napoleon||2014||RHP||Bowling Green|
|Zach Heming||OH||Turpin||2015||C||Lincoln Memorial|
Top Headlines for the Buckeye State
- PBRPlus Just Released: Ohio Class of 2017 Rankings
- PBRPlus Updated and Expanded Ohio Class of 2016 Rankings
- PBRPlus Just Released: Updated Ohio Class of 2015 Rankings
- PBRPlus Ohio Insider: Ohio Players That Made The 2015 Overall Rankings
- PBRPlus The Ohio Recruiting Trail
- OH Flashback - History of Cincinnati Preseason Underclass Showcase
- PBRPlus Top Tools Breakdown: Preseason Underclass Showcase South I
- PBRPlus Sneak Peak: Top Performers from the Preseason Underclass Showcase South I
- OH Results from the Preseason Underclass Showcase South I
- PBRPlus Sneak Peak: Top Performers from the Western Ohio Winter Showcase
- OH Results from the Western Ohio Winter Showcase
- PBRPlus Top Tools Breakdown: Western Ohio Winter Showcase