WIAA Finals: Rio Wins First Ever State Championship
June 18, 2015
By Spencer Flaten
APPLETON, WI – The Rio Vikings captured their first ever state championship on Thursday morning with a 1-0 win over Ithaca in the state final.
Both teams relied on youth on the mound to get the trophy. Two freshman squared off in Rio’s Trajan Prochnow and Ithaca’s Aaron Huebsch.
Ithaca started the game looking like the better team. The Bulldogs got runners in scoring position in each of the first four innings, but were unable to produce any runs against Prochnow, who dug deep multiple times to escape some jams.
The Bulldogs outhit the Vikings 6-2 headed to the 5th, but in the bottom of the frame Rio benefitted from an RBI single by Jacob Black to give them the lead.
With the lead in hand, Prochnow buckled down and set the Bulldogs down in order in both the 6th and 7th to claim the state championship.
Trevor Kearney was huge from the leadoff spot for Rio. He finished the game 3-for-3 for the Vikings. Black had the sole RBI of the game and also made two diving catches in center field to preserve the win. Cody Klossowski went 2-for-3 for Ithaca.
Prochnow pitched a complete game shutout and gave up 6 hits while striking out two. Aaron Huebsch and Jacob Huebsch both pitched three innings for Ithaca. Jacob took the loss with one earned run and 4 walks.
Rio and Ithaca are only losing four starters and one starter, respectively, so this could be just the beginning for both teams.
- WI Future Prospect Showcase - Fox Cities: Player Analysis6.18.15
- WI WIAA Semifinals: Notre Dame Drops River Valley, Advances To Title Game6.18.15
- WI WIAA Semifinals Milwaukee Lutheran Advances to State Title Game. 6.17.15
- WI WIAA Semifinals Aquinas Takes Down Marathon6.17.15
- WI WIAA Semifinals Lake County Lutheran Advances to Title Game6.17.15
- WI WIAA Semifinals Ithaca Advances to D4 Title Game6.17.15