PDQ Player of the Week: Luke Baker
March 12, 2019
Another week of big time performances across the state, but 2020 Ole Miss recruit and left-handed pitcher Luke Baker stood out above the rest. The big 6-foot-6 left-hander was dominant in his outing against Columbia High School.
Baker would throw a complete game no-hitter in the 4-0 win over Columbia. Baker would strike out 16 batter and only walk one. He has routinely ran his fastball into the high 80s, showing an overall feel to pitch. Everything was working on this night though as he dominated, helping push Bucholz up to No 14 in this weeks Power25.
Check out the LHP Luke Baker's full profile below.
09/23/18- Committed to the University of Mississippi.
08/04/18- Uncommitted, an ultra projectable 6-foot-6, 196 pound left hander, Baker continues to be on the upswing. The frame continues to fill out, while the delivery continues to become more in sync and on time a separation to release. He repeats well and filled up the zone for his three innings. He showed ability to compete, with three average to above average pitches. The fastball worked 85-86 mph early and commanded down to both sides of the plate. Attacked in with the pitch to right handers. Has a feel for both offspeed pitches, the curveball has quality shape at 71-73 mph and showed a feel for an above average changeup at 77 mph. Overall, he continues to make big strides, shows present feel to pitch and overall an extremely high ceiling.
06/23/18- Uncommitted. Currently stands at 6-foot-5, 188 pounds with a tall, lanky, projectable frame. Plenty of room to fill out. One of the biggest standouts on the mound in game action. Creates downhill plane from good extension with release point. Repeats delivery well given the age and size. Generated many late swings with his fastball at 83-87 mph. He shows feels for a curveball with bite at 70-72 mph. The stuff continues to trend upward and is presently above average, given the frame and advanced feel Baker will be an exciting pitcher to follow going forward
06/03/18- Uncommitted. Long and lanky at 6-foot-5, 185-pounds with long arms and legs. Despite his long-limbs, Baker was easily able to repeat a compact, polished delivery. His clean arm delivers out of high ¾ slot and created a downward plane with the fastball at 82-85. Showcasing feel for three pitches, Baker also featured confidence in his changeup at 74-75 with fading action as well as a breaking ball at 66-68. Exhibiting little effort overall, Baker likely has more velocity on the way as he fills out.
01/27/18- Uncommitted. Currently stands at 6-foot-5, 182 pounds on a tall, lanky frame with lots of projection. Smooth, easy actions on mound. Long and loose limbs. Fastball mostly sat in the 79-82 mph range along with a 68-70 mph curveball that displayed 1/7 shape with big sweeping break, flashing late action. Has the chance to be an above average curveball. Mixed in a changeup at 69-72 mph. Looks for big jumps in the coming years as he continues to mature and fill out his frame.
01/21/17- The 6-foot-3, 175-pound left handed pitcher has a lanky frame, with a high waist. Showed a loose, athletic body with a clean, long, loose low ¾ arm action. Fastball ranged from 77-80 mph with very little effort. Can be somewhat short in the backside, causing some deception. The curveball ranged from 64-68 mph with a quality shape and will continue to improve with added strength. Overall, there is big time projection, the arm works well and will make big jumps as he continues to throw and add strength.
11/12/16- The 6-foot-3 175-pounder, he has the frame that scouts look for in a pitcher. Will continue to get stronger and may not be done growing yet. Has a very easy pitching motion, fastball ranges from 77-80 mph. A jump in velocity likely to happen soon. Showcased a feel for the zone with fastball, off speed was a little erratic. Curveball sat 65-66 with small 1-7 break, backed up at times. Changeup 68-69 mph has the makings of a good pitch when thrown with better arm speed. High ceiling lefty
- PBR Success Stories: 2020 LHP Luke Baker - Apr 27, 2020
- PDQ Player of the Week: Luke Baker - Mar 12, 2019
- FL Preseason All-State: 2nd Team All-State - Feb 15, 2019
- FL Preseason All-State: Pitcher Analysis - Feb 13, 2019
- FL Preseason All-State Spotlight: Luke Baker - Dec 8, 2018
- Top 20 Player Profiles of 2018: No. 19 Luke Baker - Dec 6, 2018
- Q&A: 2020 LHP Luke Baker - Oct 31, 2018
- 2018 Future Games: Team Florida Pitcher Only Breakdown - Aug 20, 2018
- 2018 Future Games: Team Florida Game 1 & 2 Quick Hits - Aug 3, 2018
- Future Games Cheat Sheet - Jul 26, 2018
- 2018 PBR Future Games Team Florida Spotlight: 2020 LHP Luke Baker - Jul 24, 2018
- Top Pitchers Coming To Future Games - Jul 18, 2018
- FL Limited Series: 25 Uncommitted Standouts - Jul 12, 2018
- 2018 PBR FL Underclass Games: Top 20 Standouts - Jul 11, 2018
- 2018 PBR FL Underclass Games: Pitcher Breakdown - Jul 10, 2018
- 2018 PBR FL Underclass Games Quick Hits - Jun 28, 2018
- 2018 Florida Underclass Games: Statistical Breakdown - Jun 25, 2018
- 2018 Florida Underclass Games Spotlight: 2020 LHP Luke Baker - Jun 13, 2018
- Day 3: Florida Limited Series - Jun 6, 2018
- FL Preseason All-State Pitcher Breakdown - Feb 12, 2018
- Preseason All State Spotlight 2020 LHP Luke Baker - Jan 19, 2018
- Preseason All State: Pitcher-Only Breakdown - Feb 8, 2017
- Preseason All-State Event Preview - Jan 19, 2017
- Preseason All-State Preview: Luke Baker - Dec 13, 2016
- North Florida Open Breakdown - Nov 17, 2016