Cathedral, Greenfield Central to meet in Regionals

By Blake Hibler

Director of Scouting, PBR Indiana

INDIANAPOLIS--- Cathedral returns to familiar territory, a top of sectional 10. Last year the Irish were upset by Warren Central in the sectional semi finals for the first time since 2004. This year Cathedral was not going to see a repeat disappointment like last year.

Lawrence Central gave the Irish their most challenging game this year, but key mistakes fueled the Cathedral win. The Bears jumped up to an early 3-0 lead, keyed by a Braxton Krieg double, and a Dre Davis sac fly to right.

The Irish responded back, however, in the fourth inning. With two outs Brendan Flood ripped a double down the left field line which was followed by a Harry Shipley walk. Luke Cuerton, committed to Indiana, came to the plate and struck out on a two strike curve ball in the dirt, however, the ball went to the backstop allowing Cuerton to reach first. In typical Cathedral fashion, Alex Boos (2014) delivered with a grand slam in the next at bat, giving the Irish a 4-3 lead.

The Irish would add another run in the sixth before Lawrence Central responded with their own two out rally. Scott Swingle and Matt Greenwell (Manchester) both singled,while Jacob Lane delivered later in the inning with a two out single to score Swingle from second. During the play, Cathedral shortstop, Harry Shipley, tried to gun the runner out at third, but the throw got away, allowing pinch runner Marcus Jessup to score from first to tie the game.

Cathedral responded in the seventh, with Alex Boos once again being the hero.  Boos hit a hard groundball off of pitcher Jarrett Montgomery’s foot. The ball rolled slowly towards the Bears third baseman, but was rolling too slow to make a play. Cathedral reclaimed their title as Sectional 10 champions. The Irish will meet Greenfield Central in the first round of Regionals on Saturday at 10 am.

Greenfield Central’s key win in sectionals was against No. 24 Anderson, who entered play at 18-5. The Cougars sent Ohio State commit and star pitcher Curtiss Irving to the mound. Irving was dominant for 7 innings using his 84-88 mph fastball to limit Anderson to one hit over 7 innings while striking out 11.

Anderson’s Jacson Quartier was equally impressive through the first six innings Quartier struck out 8 and only allowed one hit.

The seventh, however, was keyed by one bad pitch and an error. A throwing error put a runner on second with no body out and Curtiss Irving stepped to the plate. In a decision that is easy to second guess after the fact, Anderson decided to pitch to Irving with first base open. Irving made it hurt, hitting a two run homerun to centerfield, giving Greenfield Central the 2-0 lead.

That was all Irving needed on the mound. He promptly went out and struck the next three Anderson hitters securing the victory and setting up a sectional final against Connersville, who upset New Castle.

Greenfield Central would go on to defeat the Spartans 6-3. Brendon Neal pitched a complete game and also delivered a big two run triple to give Greenfield Central their first sectional title in seven years.