Preseason All State Showcase: 2015 Top 10 Prospects
March 6, 2012
The Prep Baseball Report Indiana Preseason All-State Showcase on February 25 at Lawrence North High School featured 98 players including 10 freshman. Jordan Poore (Muncie Central) and Nolan Watson (Lawrence North) were the top 2 overall prospects in the 2015 class.
Top 10 2015's
1. Jordan Poore, LHP/OF, Muncie Central HS: Poore is a 5’11”, 160 lb. freshman with tons of projectability. From the OF he shows a strong accurate arm at 84 mph. He moves well and shows good defensive actions. At the plate he displays good balance with a smooth load. He has quick bat speed for a freshman, and produces good pop. On the mound he throws from a high ¾ arm slot. Poore displays good rhythm and timing in his delivery. His fastball sits at 80-83 mph with some run. He throws a 1/7 breaking ball with sharp action at 66-69 mph. Poore’s change up is 69-72 mph with good sink action. He shows the ability to throw all three pitches for a strike.
2. Nolan Watson, 3B/RHP, Lawrence North HS: Watson is a 6’1”, 175 lb. freshman with good athleticism. In the field he shows a strong arm with good carry at 83 mph. He displays plus defensive actions with soft hands and a clean exchange. He moves well and plays through the ball. At the plate Watson has a short stride with good balance. At times his swing can be a little stiff, but shows he can get to extension and produce good pop. On the mound Watson is advanced for a freshman. He possesses good rhythm and timing in his delivery. His fastball is consistently 80-82 mph with arm side run. He shows an advanced 11/5 breaking ball at 70-71 mph along with a 72-73 mph change up with some sink action.
3. Robert Young, OF/SS, North Central HS: Young is a 6’, 184 lb. freshman. From the OF he moves well and has a good arm for a freshman at 77 mph. At the plate he shows a balanced set up, with a long swing path, and shows some pop potential. Young ran a 7.12 sixty at the event.
4. Tyler Schneider, SS/3B, South Spencer HS: Schneider is a 5’11”, 155 lb. freshman. In the field he shows good arm strength at 76 mph. At the plate he displays a balanced setup with a short stride. His lower half is a little stiff, but shows the ability to hit line drives consistently with some pop. Schneider shows good speed, running a 6.99 sixty at the event.
5. Caleb Aaron, LHP/OF, Eastern HS: Aaron is a 5’9”, 175 lb. freshman. On the mound, Aaron throws from a high ¾ arm slot. As a freshman his mechanics are still raw, but shows some projectability. His fastball is 78-79 mph. He throws a 64-65 mph breaking ball with gradual movement. His changeup sits at 68-71 mph.
6. Joshua Sampoll, LHP/1B, Lawrence North HS: Sampoll is a 5’9”, 180 lb. freshman. He shows good size for a freshman. In the field he works around the bag well and shows soft hands with the ability to pick it. At the plate he shows a closed set up with good balance. His swing path is long, but shows good bat speed. Sampoll is a line drive hitter with some pop potential. On the mound Sampoll throws from a high ¾ arm slot. As a freshman his mechanics are still raw, but shows some projectability. His fastball is straight and sits at 74-76 mph. He throws two off speed pitches; a 67-71 mph breaking ball and a 70-71 mph change up.
7. Matt Simmerman, C/1B, Shelbyville HS: Simmerman is a 6’, 240 lb., big bodied freshman. Behind the plate he was a consistent 2.25-2.41 with his pop times. At the plate he demonstrates an explosive lower half with good balance. He has quick bat speed and the ability to hit for power.
8. Clay Keltner, RHP/3B, Highland HS: Keltner is a 6’, 185 lb. freshman. In the field he displays quick hands and was 73 across the diamond. At the plate he displays a balanced setup with a smooth load. His bat speed is average for a freshman and shows some pop potential. On the mound Keltner was 74-76 mph with his fastball. His breaking ball shows some movement at 60-61 mph, and throws a changeup at 61-65 mph.
9. Lance Howard, RHP/3B, North Central HS: Howard is a 5’9”, 160 lb. freshman. Across the diamond he is 71 mph. At the plate he displays a balanced setup with a short stride. His bat speed is above average for a freshman. On the mound he throws from a high 3/4 arm slot and is 70-72 mph with his fastball. He throws two off speed pitches; a 61-62 mph breaking ball, 62-64 mph change up.
10. Anthony Williams, MIF, North Central HS: Williams is a 5’9”, 165 lb. freshman. Williams moves well in the field and was 65 across the diamond. At the plate he shows good bat speed with a slightly open stance. Williams is continuing to develop his fielding and hitting mechanics.