Super 60 Spotlight: John Rogers
January 18, 2021
On Sunday, Feb. 7, Prep Baseball Report will host the 19th edition of its prestigious, flagship event: the Super 60 Pro Showcase. Since the event’s inception in 2003, more than 300 players have been selected in the MLB Draft, including 22 first-round picks and 25 second-rounders.
We started our our march toward the Super 60 earlier this month, by highlighting the prospects set to join us, shining a light on their impressive player profiles that they've groomed through their high school years and beyond.
Vanderbilt recruit. Rogers was ultra-conservative hitting in the leadoff spot for Team Indiana as he patiently waited for pitches deep into counts. Sporting an athletically-muscular, 5-foot-9, 178-pound frame, the left-handed hitter sets up wider in a crouched base. The hands flow freely down and back before stopping as the weight transfers to the front foot with a longer stride. There is impressive quickness to the hands with a direct path and intent to drive the ball to the back side gap. At times, the bat got out of the zone quickly which caused some swing-and-miss throughout the weekend, but there is still lots to like. A gifted athlete with speed and ball-skills, Rogers has a chance to stick in centerfield long-term. Making the most of his speed, Rogers swiped seven bags on the weekend.
Rogers looked the part of an elite, top-of-the-order talent throughout the week at the Future Games. A 6.59-runner, his speed and athleticism will allow him to remain in centerfield moving forward, and given his athleticism, ball-skills, and strong arm (90mph positionally), there is a chance that he excels defensively at the next level. The left-handed hitter showcased the ability to keep the barrel in the zone for a long time, working line drives to all fields before circling the bases. Rogers is confident in his abilities which helps them to play up in-game, and should continue quickly progressing as he gains more experience against high-level competition. He collected multiple hits over the course of three games with a propensity to work the back side gap, and his pitch recognition stood out throughout. Overall, as a left-handed hitting, premium centerfielder, the 5-foot-9, 178-pounder will likely be pursued by a large collection of colleges moving forward.
2019 INDIANA STATE GAMES: 5-foot-9, 180 pound high intensity player. Outfield showed decent range and read on balls to both sides. Plays with obvious passion. Popped up in the INF and was 4.26 down the line on the turn. Was standing on second when the 3B caught the ball. At the plate starts wide with a slight stride. Likely will be a gap-gap line drive hitter with plus speed that can stretch doubles.
5-foot-9, 178 pound strong, athletic frame. Shows athletic twitch in all facets of his game. Glides on the base paths. Had a top home to first of 4.06. Left-handed hitter hits from an athletic crouch setup, high back elbow. Stride is short, smooth load. Above average bat speed with gap-to-gap potential. Interesting follow this summer.
- PBRPlus Super 60: Vizual Edge Testing Leaders 2/18/21
- PBRPlus Super 60: Blast Motion Leaders 2/16/21
- PBRPlus Super 60: Loden Sports Testing Leaders 2/12/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Brings MLB Dream Closer For Michigan Trio 2/11/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 A Day Of Doing What They Love For Connecticut Trio 2/11/21
- BC Hambley loved the challenge at Super 60 2/11/21
- PBRPlus Super 60: Stock Up-Meaningful Metrics-Sleepers 2/11/21
- PBRPlus Super 60: Draft Stock Up 2/10/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 'An Amazing Event' For Ohio Quartet 2/10/21
- PBRPlus 2021 Super 60 Statistical Breakdown - Ohio Prospects 2/09/21
- PBRPlus 2021 Super 60 Statistical Breakdown - Michigan Prospects 2/09/21
- PBRPlus Shooter's Super 60 Standouts 2/09/21
- PBRPlus Super 60: Statistical Analysis 2/08/21
- PBRPlus 2021 Super 60 Highlights 2/08/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Connor Simon 2/05/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Noah Edders 2/05/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Nikolas Mazza 2/05/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Brayden Lybarger 2/05/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Ryan Ure 2/05/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Jack Walker 2/04/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Brayden Jones 2/04/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Ryan Gilbert 2/04/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Breakout Candidates 2/03/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Slate Alford 2/03/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Janzen Keisel 2/03/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Saborn Campbell 2/02/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Jose Pena 2/01/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Ian Moller 2/01/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Matthew Polk 2/01/21
- PBRPlus Super 60 Spotlight: Khal Stephen 1/29/21