Player Spotlight: 2019 OF Connor Rakow
March 14, 2018
Leading up to the start of the 2018 high school season we look back on some of the top performances of the winter. Today we highlight 2019 OF Connor Rakow (Franklin), who participated as a member of Team Pennsylvania at the 2017 PBR Future Games.
2017 PBR Future Games - Team Pennsylvania
4/17/17 6-foot, 170-pound right-handed hitter and thrower has moved from the outfield to shortstop for his high school team. Considerable athleticism has resulted in seamless transition. Rakow demonstrated above average footwork, soft hands and an ability to field ball out front. Arm strength played well on left side of infield. At the plate Rakow used a short leg-lift stride from a square stance. Hands are loose and quick, good separation is achieved through sound hip turn and lower half use. Swing is fluid with good balance and rhythm. There was some difficulty with spin recognition on this day.
10/29/16 Athletic 6-foot, 170-pound frame and athletic actions across the board make Rakow the top outfield prospect at this event. The sophomore ran a 6.88 60-yard dash, flashed 85 mph arm strength from the outfield and displayed a fluid right-handed swing with an 88 mph bat exit velocity. The right-handed hitter starts from a square stance and utilizes a short, leg-lift stride and solid hip turn to create considerable barrel whip. Rakow gets to extension routinely and shows present gap-to-gap power with an above average feel for the barrel.
9/11/16 6-foot, 170-pound right-handed hitter took one of the top rounds of batting practice on the day. Starts from a square stance and begins swing with a short lift-and-replace stride. Registered an 88 mph bat exit velocity and displayed developing gap power with a solid feel for the barrel. Ran a 7.14 60-yard dash and showcased athletic defensive actions with good carry to throws of 85 mph from the outfield.
6/15/16 6-foot, 170-pound right-handed hitter starts from a square stance and utilizes a short lift-and-replace stride to initiate his swing. Registered an 80 mph bat exit velocity and flashed a solid feel for the barrel in batting practice. Displayed athletic actions defensively with 83 mph arm strength from the outfield while running a 7.20 60-yard dash.
Sat 77-79 off the mound from an over-the-top arm slot. Also commanded a 64 mph curveball with 11/5 rotation.
11/7/15 5-foot-11, 160-pound two-way prospect ran a 7.19 60-yard dash and showcased athletic actions defensively. Demonstrated ability to play through the baseball with an accurate 83 mph arm from the outfield. Right-handed hitter initiates his swing with a lift-and-replace stride from a square stance. Displayed a flat barrel path and a feel for the barrel with limited lower half action. Additional work to better incorporate lower half will lead to an increase in current 81 mph bat exit velocity and the potential for some power.
11/7/15 5-foot-11, 160-pound youngster who pitched out of an over-the-top with a hesitation at the top of his compact delivery and good direction toward home plate. Two-pitch mix included a fastball at 77-79 with baby tail and a curveball at 65-67 that was inconsistent, but showed solid 11/5 action when right.
9/20/15 5-foot-11, 160-pound right-handed hitter. Starts from a square stance and initiates his swing with a short lift-and-replace stride. Displayed some length to his swing but a flat barrel path allows him to stay in the hitting zone for long periods of time. Turned in a solid round of batting practice with a bat exit velocity of 78 mph and went 2-for-4 in game two action. Showcased very fluid actions defensively with accurate 78 mph arm strength with solid carry. Definite follow in this class that should see steady improvements through physical maturity and strength gains.
9/20/15 5-foot-11, 160-pound primary outfielder with solid two-way abilities. Sat 76-77 with some cut to his fastball from a high 3/4 arm slot. Also commanded a 66 mph curveball with 11/5 rotation. Repeatable mechanics and athletic frame would indicate significant velocity gains to come. Worked two scoreless innings allowing three hits while registering three strikeouts.
- Fall Kickoff Showcase Tournament: Day Three Review - Aug 20, 2018
- Player Spotlight: 2019 OF Connor Rakow - Mar 14, 2018
- PBR Fall Kickoff Showcase Tournament Preview: Allegheny Pirates - Aug 12, 2017
- 2017 PBR Future Games: Previewing Team Pennsylvania Position Players - Aug 1, 2017
- Team Pennsylvania Roster Announced - May 3, 2017
- 2019 Rankings Update: Additional Newcomers - Nov 17, 2016
- Elite Prospect Showcase Analysis: Outfielders - Nov 1, 2016
- Elite Prospect Showcase Highlights - Oct 31, 2016
- Elite Prospect Showcase Spotlight: 2019 OF/SS Connor Rakow - Oct 4, 2016
- Western PA Top Prospect Games Analysis: Blue Team - Jun 21, 2016
- Western PA Top Prospect Games Preview: Blue Team - Jun 11, 2016
- Elite Prospect Showcase Analysis: Class of 2018/2019 Pitchers - Nov 19, 2015
- Elite Prospect Showcase Analysis: Class of 2019 - Nov 11, 2015
- Elite Prospect Showcase Preview: a Look at the Freshmen - Nov 3, 2015
- Western PA Fall Review Analysis: Pitchers - Sep 27, 2015
- Western PA Fall Review Analysis: Outfielders - Sep 26, 2015
- PA On Deck Preview: 2026 RHP/OF Keller Bradley (Pennsbury) 11/30/23
- PA On Deck Preview: 2026 RHP Ryan Schoppy (Susquenita) 11/29/23
- PA PA 2025 Rankings Update 11/29/23
- PA Uncommitted Spotlight: 2024 OF Tucker Teats (Selinsgrove) 11/28/23
- PA On Deck Preview: 2025 MIF Jager Nailor (Mechanicsburg Area) 11/28/23
- PA On Deck Preview: 2026 RHP/3B Lanson Orndorf (Frankfort, WV) 11/24/23
- PA PA 2024 Rankings Update 11/15/23