Uncommitted Prospect Spotlight: 2021 LHP Carter Welch
September 26, 2019
Just five weeks have passed since the completion of the 2019 PBR Future Games and to date a total of 12 players that made up the 21 player Team Pennsylvania roster have announced a college commitment.
Over the past two weeks we have taken a look at the remaining 9 prospects that participated in a Team PA uniform and recapped their performance at the event.
Today we conclude with a look at 2021 LHP Carter Welch. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound junior made short work of the Team Canada hitters he faced over two innings mixing a fastball, curveball and changeup from a 3/4 arm slot. While his fastball is not currently overpowering, topping at 85 mph, his command of three pitches and a knowledge of how to add and subtract velocity is advanced.
+ 2019 PBR Future Games Selection (Team Pennsylvania)
6-foot-2, 180-pounder showcased the best command of a three pitch mix of any pitcher over the course of the 12 games played. The lefty sits 80-83 and has shown continual velocity gains over the past 24 months. Arm slot varies between high 3/4 and 3/4 allowing him to manipulate different pitches in different counts. Depending on the arm slot he has the ability to create arm-side run and cut on his fastball. Curveball shows 1/7 rotation with a high spin rate and depth at 64-65. His changeup was by far the top of the event at 70-71 and was able to be commanded in all counts.
6-foot-1, 182-pound left-handed pitcher displayed solid feel for all of his pitches during bullpens and presented himself to be a tough at-bat for any hitter. He delivers from a high 3/4 arm-slot, utilizing a hip-coil, and releases behind a left-handed hitter. Fastballs sat from 78-80 mph. Welch threw a controlled, 62-63 mph curveball with 1/7 tilt and a 68-72 mph changeup with cut. The lefty also showcased a two-seam fastball with heavy arm-side-run at 78-80 mph. Notched one of the top bullpen sessions of the day.
6-foot-1, 165-pound primary pitcher impressed with his all-around skill set. The lefty sat 75-79 out of a high 3/4 arm slot with hip coil to his delivery. Welch also commanded a curveball with 1/7 rotation at 56-60 and a changeup with excellent arm speed at 65-66. The underclassmen has an advanced knowledge of how to pitch and with a long, athletic frame should see velo jump accordingly as he adds strength through physical maturity. Welch ran a 7.56 60-yard dash, showcased 81 mph arm strength from the outfield and registered an 84 mph bat exit velocity. Definite follow in the Class of 2021.
Physically advanced 6-foot-1, 165-pound frame. Primary pitcher sat 77-79 from a high 3/4 arm slot with a high knee stack and some arm side run to his fastball. Long, loose arm action is far from max effort. Curveball sat 58-61 with sweeping 2/8 shape. Changeup is thrown at fastball arm speed with some cut action at 62-66. Left-handed hitter starts from a square stance and initiates his swing with a lift-and-replace stride. Displayed a balance swing with a feel for the barrel and a bat exit velocity of 83 mph. Ran a 7.24 60-yard dash and showcased the ability to routinely play through the baseball defensively with 81 mph arm strength from his outfield position.
- 2021 High School Scout Blog: Edition 4 - May 4, 2021
- Inside The Rankings: Top 10 Class of 2021 LHP - Apr 30, 2020
- Uncommitted Prospect Spotlight: 2021 LHP Carter Welch - Sep 26, 2019
- PBR Fall Kickoff Showcase Tournament Recap: Team PBR - Aug 26, 2019
- PBR Fall Kickoff Showcase Tournament Preview: Team PBR - Aug 7, 2019
- PBR Future Games Player Spotlight: LHP Carter Welch - Jul 30, 2019
- PBR Limited Series Review: Top Pitching Prospects - Jul 2, 2019
- PBR Limited Series: Lebanon Valley College (16U Preview) - Jun 27, 2019
- Game of the Day (April 11, 2019) - Apr 12, 2019
- 2019 PBR Future Games: Early Look at Team Pennsylvania Roster - Mar 30, 2019
- 2018 Eastern PA Top Prospect Games Analysis: Black Team - Jun 23, 2018
- Midseason Update: Pennsylvania's Class of 2021 - Apr 20, 2018
- 2018 Preseason All-State Showcase Analysis: Class of 2021 Two-way Players - Feb 2, 2018
- 2018 Preseason All-State Showcase: Day Two Highlights - Jan 29, 2018
Team Pennsylvania Roster
|Josh Beck||PA||Lancaster Catholic||2021||LHP||Radford|
|Colton Book||PA||Manheim Central||2021||LHP||Stony Brook|
|Jake Books||PA||Malvern Prep||2022||1B|
|Justin Butler||PA||Quakertown Community||2021||C|
|Derek Cease||PA||Nanticoke Area||2021||SS|
|Luke Holman||PA||Wilson West Lawn||2021||RHP|
|Michael Kilker||PA||Hazleton Area||2021||RHP||West Virginia|
|Paxton Kling||PA||Central (Martinsburg)||2022||OF|
|Chase Kriebel||PA||Clarion Area||2022||LHP||Florida Gulf Coast|
|Colin Lewandowski||PA||William Penn Charter||2021||RHP|
|Andrew Muraco||PA||Franklin Regional||2021||SS||Coastal Carolina|
|Rafe Perich||PA||Northwestern Lehigh||2021||SS|
|Erik Ritchie||PA||Souderton Area||2021||LHP||East Carolina|
|Evin Sullivan||PA||North Penn||2021||C||Binghamton|
|Carter Welch||PA||Northwestern Lehigh||2021||LHP|
|West Chester Dragons Scout Day||PA||10/05||Keystone State Baseball Academy|
|RC Knights 16U Scout Day||PA||10/12||Keystone State Baseball Academy|
|2019 Future Prospects Showcase||PA||10/19||Keystone State Baseball Academy|
|2019 Elite Prospect Showcase||PA||10/26||Keystone State Baseball Academy|
|2019 Fall Measurables & Evaluation Showcase||PA||11/02||Keystone State Baseball Academy|
|2019 Holiday Showcase||PA||12/28||Keystone State Baseball Academy|
- PA 2023 Year in Review: PA Trackman Hitting Leaderboard (Class of '24) 12/09/23
- PA 2023 Year in Review: PA Trackman Pitching Leaderboard (Class of '24) 12/07/23
- PA On Deck Preview: 2026 1B/RHP Timmy Joos (North Catholic) 12/07/23
- PA PA 2026 Rankings Update 12/06/23
- PA On Deck Preview: 2025 SS/RHP Peyton Vancas (Bellefonte) 12/05/23