SoCal ProCase Spotlight: INF Thomas Saggese
July 9, 2019
PODCAST: SoCal ProCase Recap
ORANGE, CA. - The 2019 MLB Draft completed on June 5th, and on June 8th, it was time to turn our attention to the 2020 class at the SoCal ProCase. A select group of players were chosen to participate in this exclusive event geared toward high level collegiate and draft prospects.
Players were put through a pro-style workout - 60 yard dash, exit velocity testing, BP, defensive workout - before participating in scout ball format game that saw eight pitchers toe the rubber. PBR California scouting staff collected various stats/data during the workout and game which can be found HERE.
Be sure to click on the highlighted player to see more video and notes from previous viewings at PBR Events and during the Spring Season.
In this edition of the SoCal ProCase Spotlight we highlight:
Infielder Thomas Saggese, a Pepperdine commit, is listed at 5-foot-10 165 pounds, showing a wiry lean build with some strength. Plenty of room for added growth and development to an already powerful swing that projects well down the line. Throwback style on the field, played loose, hustled on and off the field, volunteered to catch the throwdowns in the catcher pop-time evaluations and wore no batting gloves during batting practice and live at-bats.
Per stats available to us, Saggese finished the 2019 season with a batting average of .422 collecting 43 hits in 102 at-bats, an on-base plus slugging of 1.324, 26 runs batted in, 32 runs scored, 17 walks, 14 strikeouts, 7 stolen bases, 5 doubles, 3 triples and 10 home runs. His 10 home runs tied the county lead and were two more than 13th overall pick Keoni Cavaco. Following the 2019 San Diego Section season, Saggese was named Avocado-West Player of the Year, First Team All-County, North All-Star and to the Prep Baseball Report-San Diego All-Prospect team.
Defensively Saggese showed average athleticism, quick hands, some lower half stiffness and the ability to stay at short. The glovework looked natural, showed consistency and flashed above-average ability down the line. Saggese’s best defensive tool are his quick hands as he is able to get rid of the ball quickly and consistently. Ran a 7.14 sixty-yard dash and showed above-average base running ability throughout the 2019 San Diego Section season. Showed plus-dirt ball reads and the ability to read the pitcher and catcher that will enable him to step right into the college game.
Offensively the swing looks effortless and projects well with increased velocity at the next level. Saggese’s spotlight moment came during batting practice as he was the only hitter that took a round to display an opposite field only hitting approach. His quick hands showed during batting practice and during live at-bats as his quick bat-to-ball point of contact abilities were on full display. During the 2019 season Saggese struck out 10 percent of the time and walked 14 percent of the time showing that he likes to swing the bat and has a high contact rate that should continue as his career progresses.
His best overall tool is his hit tool which plays well for down the line development in the modern game. The ten home runs in his first varsity season are the number to watch moving forward as his swing and throwback style bode well for the college and professional game. Some present physical gains and overall speed along with another statistical eye-popping season could put him in the 2020 MLB Draft discussion.
|Inland Empire Top Prospect ID||CA||07/23||Santiago High School|
|Northern California Top Prospect ID||CA||07/24||St. Mary's College|
|Junior Future Games||NATIONAL||07/30||LakePoint|
|2019 PBR Future Games (California Invite)||CA||07/31||LakePoint - Cartersville, GA|
|California State Games||CA||08/17||Vanguard University|
|Kern County Prospect I.D.||CA||09/07||Cal State Bakersfield|
|SoCal Prospect Games||CA||09/14||JSerra High School|
|Rising Stars Showcase||CA||09/21||Santiago High School|
|N. CA Uncommitted Senior Games||CA||10/06||College of Marin|
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: 1B Jack Gurevitch 7/06/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: C Max Aude 7/06/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: C Jake Adams 7/06/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: RHP Xavier Cardenas III 7/06/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: LHP Ben Jacobs 7/06/21
- CA Socal ProCase Spotlight: LHP Chase Hoover 7/05/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: SS Mikey Romero 7/05/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: RHP Tyler Bremner 7/03/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: OF Cooper Whitton 7/03/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: C Andrew Pyle 7/03/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: INF Ryan Ward 7/03/21
- CA Socal ProCase Spotlight: INF Jordan Jaffe 7/02/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: OF Austin Overn 7/02/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: OF Toussaint Bythewood 7/01/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: OF Noah Williams 7/01/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: LHP Jake Thrift 6/30/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: SS Christopher Paciolla 6/30/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: RHP Vincent Grant IV 6/30/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: SS Ian Halverson 6/30/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: RHP Eric Van Valkenburg 6/29/21