SoCal ProCase Spotlight: RHP Caleb Bennett
July 10, 2019
PODCAST: SoCal ProCase Recap
ORANGE, CA. - The 2019 MLB Draft completed on June 5th, and on June 8th, it was time to turn our attention to the 2020 class at the SoCal ProCase. A select group of players were chosen to participate in this exclusive event geared toward high level collegiate and draft prospects.
Players were put through a pro-style workout - 60 yard dash, exit velocity testing, BP, defensive workout - before participating in scout ball format game that saw eight pitchers toe the rubber. PBR California scouting staff collected various stats/data during the workout and game which can be found HERE.
Be sure to click on the highlighted player to see more video and notes from previous viewings at PBR Events and during the Spring Season.
In this edition of the SoCal ProCase Spotlight we highlight:
RHP CALEB BENNETT (CORONA CENTENNIAL HS)
Right handed pitcher Caleb Bennett, a Nebraska commit, is listed at 6-foot-4 200 pounds showing broad shoulders, a sturdy lower half and long limbs in a projectable power pitchers build. Per stats available to us, Bennett finished his 2019 junior season with a 2-2 record in 13 appearances compiling a 3.06 ERA and 1.66 WHIP with 41 strikeouts and 28 walks over 32 innings pitched for the Corona Centennial Huskies. Bennett’s most impressive 2019 statistic is his .198 opponents batting average, which shows that his stuff has been effective and projects well down the line. The 28 walks allowed in 32 innings pitched is troublesome and is certainly something that will have to be improved to make a jump at the next level. Bennett’s highlight outing came on March 19th when he combined for a no-hitter, twirling six scoreless and hitless innings while striking out ten batters and walking two versus rival Corona High School.
Bennett’s slider impressed at 83-84 mph topping at 85 mph and currently grades out as an above-average pitch and very well could be a plus-pitch in the near future. Featuring tight spin and fastball action out of the hand showcasing deception and movement that gave the hitters little chance for success. Bennett was able to command the pitch when needed further showing his advanced feel for the pitch. The fastball topped at 90 mph but held steady at 88-90 mph throughout his outing featuring armside run and some downward plane. Had the most success when playing off his slider and locating inside to right-handed hitters and away to left-handed hitters but did not show consistent feel for the other side of the plate.
Mechanically showed a feel for pitching and that he is a student of the game with his cerebral view for the position. The calm start and under control movement is something that will help him stay consistent and healthy. The slight glove tap seems like wasted movement and the heavy glove side pull shows why he struggled to locate glove side consistently with the fastball and lived on the arm side of the plate regardless of where the catcher called the pitch. The arm works well and showed consistent arm speed that at the end of the day triumphs all. Bennett’s arm speed shows why he is able to generate such spin and velocity on his slider and projects well down the line. Maturity was shown in his commitment to analyzing his performance and comes as no surprise for a 4.0+ GPA student.
The plus potential of his slider, likely jump in fastball velocity and projectable pitchers build show me a power bullpen arm with a wipe out slider down the line. With some mechanical adjustments and senior year development, Bennett could very well see his name pop up on the 2020 MLB Draft Radar.
|Inland Empire Top Prospect ID||CA||07/23||Santiago High School|
|Northern California Top Prospect ID||CA||07/24||St. Mary's College|
|Junior Future Games||NATIONAL||07/30||LakePoint|
|2019 PBR Future Games (California Invite)||CA||07/31||LakePoint - Cartersville, GA|
|California State Games||CA||08/17||Vanguard University|
|Kern County Prospect I.D.||CA||09/07||Cal State Bakersfield|
|SoCal Prospect Games||CA||09/14||JSerra High School|
|Rising Stars Showcase||CA||09/21||Santiago High School|
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: 1B Jack Gurevitch 7/06/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: C Max Aude 7/06/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: C Jake Adams 7/06/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: RHP Xavier Cardenas III 7/06/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: LHP Ben Jacobs 7/06/21
- CA Socal ProCase Spotlight: LHP Chase Hoover 7/05/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: SS Mikey Romero 7/05/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: RHP Tyler Bremner 7/03/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: OF Cooper Whitton 7/03/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: C Andrew Pyle 7/03/21
- CA Socal ProCase Player Spotlight: INF Ryan Ward 7/03/21
- CA Socal ProCase Spotlight: INF Jordan Jaffe 7/02/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: OF Austin Overn 7/02/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: OF Toussaint Bythewood 7/01/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: OF Noah Williams 7/01/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: LHP Jake Thrift 6/30/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: SS Christopher Paciolla 6/30/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: RHP Vincent Grant IV 6/30/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: SS Ian Halverson 6/30/21
- CA SoCal ProCase Spotlight: RHP Eric Van Valkenburg 6/29/21