Top Performer Spotlight: 2022 LHP/1B Jaron Nevarez
September 14, 2018
As we head into the fall/winter season we are publishing "Top Performer Spotlights" on players who stood out at past PBR California events, PBR officially scouted events and tournaments, and/or the summer circuit. In this edition we'll take a look at 2022 LHP/1B Jaron Nevarez, who was a standout at the recently completed Northern California Underclass Games and is certainly one of the top 2022 grads we've come across in the region. Nevarez was recently invited to participate with the 2019 16U National Team Development Program.
We first came across Nevarez at the NCTB underclass tournament last July in San Jose. He caught the eye of a handful of our scouts at that tourney and had multiple reports submitted on his behalf. In August he attended the Northern California Underclass Games and once again was standout performer, even as one of the younger players at the event.
Let's take a closer look at 2022 LHP/1B Jaron Nevarez of San Ramon Valley HS in Danville, California.
Without getting overly technical, because the scouting reports will detail what we saw of Nevarez, he is a talented 2-way player who can and should be considered both a pitching and position player prospect at this particular time. He's comfortable on the field, he's got skill and tools, and in the multiple looks we've had at him, he's been consistent in the best of what we've seen from him.
8/25/18 - 5-foot-9, 160-pounds, athletically put together, appropriate strength given his age, moved on the field with confidence and baseball type actions, looked to be a legitimate two-way player at this stage of his development and should continue to compete as a position player and pitcher. During batting practice displayed a tall set-up and open stance, short swing, has makings of some pull-side pop. Stayed back on change-up well in game competition for a solid single. Defensively the ball came out of his hand quite well up to 79 mph. Fielded the ball cleanly and set up well to get rid of throws. Size may eventually move him to the outfield where his arm would play well. On the mound he did a lot of good things. High-3/4 slot, athletic delivery, shallow backside arm action before getting to a bit of a goalpost takeaway, quiet head throughout delivery. Worked with a slower tempo. Fastball control was good, has a little bit of run but mostly straight. Best pitch was curveball which at times had good spin and action, while other times was loose, basically indicating some inconsistencies in his release point. Used that pitch well in a backdoor manner to right-hand hitters. Struck out 3 of 4 batters he faced. Good 2022 follow for sure.
7/27/18 @ NCTB underclass tourney - Medium frame with long limbs and high waist; fit and athletic build with lean muscle currently and frame to handle growth and added strength in near future. Utilizes athleticism on the mound with high front leg and repeatable delivery by keeping hands close to chin; compact and quick arm from 3/4-release has ball jump on hitter. FB 78-80 with ability to have more life going through top of the zone; spotted ball to all quadrants and keeps hitters off balance with late life and deception of delivery. CHG 70-71 with late dive down through the zone; feel for pitch and ability to break off similar path of FB. SLD 66-68 with tight lateral tilt; developing pitch that has potential for consistent swing/miss type stuff. During testing showed up with 84 MPH throws from OF and 83 MPH throws from 1B; really athletic player who attacked baseball and uses full body for success. During BP showed line-drive stroke with ability to drive into gaps; 83 Exit Velo. Ran a 7.23 60-yd dash; athleticism plays up when in the OF tracking balls down.
- CA State Games Scouting Reports: Outfielders - Aug 3, 2021
- NorCal ProCase: Blast Motion Leaders - Jun 16, 2021
- NorCal ProCase: Stats Leaders - Jun 15, 2021
- Updated and Expanded Class of 2022 Rankings - Apr 12, 2021
- NorCal Notes Round Up - Mar 29, 2021
- Return Look: Preseason All-State Upperclass - Feb 25, 2021
- Preseason All-State: Scouting Reports - Upperclass Pitchers - Feb 17, 2021
- Preseason All-State: Scouting Reports - Upperclass Outfielders - Feb 17, 2021
- NorCal ProCase Preview: OF - Dec 10, 2020
- NorCal ProCase Preview: Quick Hits - Nov 17, 2020
- Updated Class of 2022 State Rankings - Sep 21, 2020
- Norcal 9 - Two-Way Players - May 7, 2020
- INSIDE THE 2022 RANKINGS: OUTFIELDERS - Apr 28, 2020
- Norcal 9 - 2022 Rankings - Uncommitted - Apr 17, 2020
- THE FIVE: N. Calif '22's to Follow This Fall - Sep 26, 2019
- Updated Class of 2022 Ranking - Sep 17, 2019
- NorCal Fall Ball Coverage - Sep 11, 2019
- CA State Games: Day 2 - Aug 19, 2019
- CA State Games: Day 1 - Aug 18, 2019
- Summer Scout Notes: 2021/2022 Standouts - Jun 14, 2019
- THE FIVE: N. California Preseason All-State Outfielders - Feb 5, 2019
- N. California Preseason All-State: Stats Leaders - Jan 30, 2019
- N. California Preseason All-State: Quick Hits - Jan 29, 2019
- THE FIVE: 2022 Pitchers - Northern California - Jan 3, 2019
- Class of 2022 State Rankings - Nov 8, 2018
- NCTB Fall Classic: 2022 Players Spotlight - Nov 6, 2018
- More 2022s To Watch - Oct 31, 2018
- Top Performer Spotlight: 2022 LHP/1B Jaron Nevarez - Sep 14, 2018
- Northern California Underclass Games: Team 1 Analysis - Sep 5, 2018
- Northern California Underclass Games: Stats Leaders - Aug 29, 2018
- Northern California Underclass Games: Quick Hits - Aug 28, 2018
- NCTB Summer Classic Powered by PBR California - Jul 30, 2018
|Rising Stars Showcase||CA||09/23||Corona Santiago HS|
|Central Coast Open||CA||10/07||Cabrillo College|
|Senior Games (Invite Only)||CA||10/13||JSerra High School|
|Los Angeles Open||CA||10/20||Maverick Field|