INSIDE THE 2022 RANKINGS: SHORTSTOPS
April 24, 2020
New Episode LIVE now! -At The Yard Podcast
LOS ANGELES, CA. - As we recently released our updated Class of 2022 state rankings we thought we'd provide you a closer look at a few of these middle infield prospects. Rankings are never easy and we certainly know they are not an exact science. Much of rankings is predicated on what our team of scouts have seen, but given the national scope of the Prep Baseball Report network, we are more than able to access a library of over 100,00 players nationwide to compare apples-to-apples.
It's a given that California is either 1 or 1a in terms of talent in any given year. There isn't that much debate as to who the top players are because they've generally been identified at a much younger age. After all, the top players are easily identified. However, given the amount of games, innings, at-bats, pitches our team has seen over the last two-to-three years of watching this class, we feel confident knowing that nobody in the industry has seen more players in addition to those easily identified from California than our collective team.
And because of that level of confidence we feel our rankings best reflect the overall talent in the state.
Earlier we looked at catchers and first basemen. Now it's time for a few of the top ranked shortstops in the state for 2022 class. You can read full available scouting reports and view available video by clicking on the player name.
Six-foot-2, 165-pounds, large, athletic frame and a long, lean wiry strong build that projects well for future growth. Shows athleticism in his defensive actions at shortstop and third base where he funnels balls out front and shows a strong, accurate arm across the diamond. Arm projects for future gains as well. At the plate the left-handed-hitter shows some polish in his swing where he has control of the barrel that he keeps on a direct path to the ball with a compact swing.
Currently the 8th ranked player in the class of 2022 and a top prospect at shortstop in this class. At 6-foot-1, 185-pounds, Coffey is athletic enough to play anywhere on the field. Has flashed power at the plate to the pull side both last fall and into the spring. When he learns to use the entire field with his power he will become an extremely tough out. Bat speed is above average. Instinctive player on defense where he shows excellent reads in the outfield off the bat. Has an above average arm to make all throws from the outfield to any base.
Currently ranked #10 in the 2022 class. Athletic, strong, mature build with projectable frame. At plate works with crouched, sturdy stance, keeping low hands and ability to get the barrel through the zone; bat speed is real. Defense shows good in game range, good first step with quality footwork. Will most likely be a third baseman in the future but the actions project well, especially the arm strength.
A pure athlete with quick twitch actions. Slim build that projects to add weight and muscle. Romero needs to add good weight without sacrificing dynamic movement. His premium athleticism is the upside on all his projected future tools. Demonstrates excellent hand-eye coordination and fundamentals at the plate and the shortstop position. Romero will likely stick at shortstop and will not physically grow out of the position. Beyond needing to gain strength to add to his raw power, the swing is geared for a more contact approach currently.
One of the top shortstops in Northern California. Shows plus defense and bat-to-ball skills. Medium sized frame with first step athletic ability and twitchy attributes. Demonstrates excellent bat speed from his compact swing. Has twitchy actions at shortstop where he shows plus range and very quick bounce in his step. Able to move laterally with ease and make the plays; shows awareness and baseball instincts. The arm has the strength and carry to make all the throws. High floor; higher ceiling type of player.
Of course given the social distance precautions surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic, future event dates/locations could change. If there are changes we will alert all registered players and make adjustments to our calendar.
|Norcal Underclass Games (INVITE-ONLY)||CA||06/06||Islanders Field - Lathrop|
|Northern California ProCase (INVITE ONLY)||CA||06/13||Folsom Lake College|
|SoCal Underclass Games (INVITE ONLY)||CA||06/13||Hart Park|
|SoCal ProCase (INVITE ONLY)||CA||06/14||Hart Park|
|CA State Games ID (Norcal)||CA||06/16||Islanders Field - Lathrop|
|2020 PBR Future Games (California Invite)||CA||07/29||LakePoint Sports|
- CA PBR California 2023 Leaderboards: Fastball 11/28/23
- CA Class of 2024 Rankings Update 11/15/23
- CA San Diego Fall ID: Positional Leaderboards 11/13/23
- CA San Diego Fall ID: Swift Running Leaderboards 11/10/23
- CA San Diego Fall ID: TrackMan Hitting Leaderboards 11/08/23
- CA NorCal Underclass Game: Pitcher Reports 11/08/23
- CA San Diego Fall ID: Quick Hits 11/06/23
- CA SoCal Underclass Games: Outfielder Reports 11/06/23
- CA NorCal Underclass Game: INF/OF Reports 11/02/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Spotlights 11/01/23
- CA NorCal Underclass Game: Catchers Reports 10/31/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: Positional Leaderboards 10/27/23
- CA SoCal Uncommitted Games: Positional Leaderboards 10/26/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: Swift Running Leaderboards 10/25/23
- CA SoCal Uncommitted Games: Swift Running Leaderboards 10/24/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: Quick Hits; Others to Know 10/23/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: TrackMan Pitching Leaderboards 10/22/23
- CA SoCal Uncommitted Games: TrackMan Pitching Leaderboards 10/20/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: TrackMan Hitting Leaderboards 10/19/23
- CA SoCal Uncommitted Games: TrackMan Hitting Leaderboards 10/18/23