PBR Underclass Showcase results
June 28, 2011
The Prep Baseball Report Underclass Showcase on June 15 featured several talented Class of 2014 and 2015 prospects, many of whom you will be reading about for years to come. Here is a look at the top players at the event:
1. Brian Richard, a lean 5-foot-11, 150-pound Class of 2014 OF from Oak Forest HS, was the top overall performer from the event in the field and on the mound. At the plate, Richard displayed impressive bat speed and a well-balanced swing. Richard’s short bat path and level swing through the zone allowed him to spray line drives to all fields with excellent backspin carry. On the mound, the freshman varsity starter displayed a feel for all three pitches. He operated from an over the top arm slot with a fastball that sat at 78 mph and topped at 80 mph. He also showcased a 12/6 sharp curveball that was consistently located for a strike. His change-up displayed sink and was located down in the zone at 70-72 mph.
2. Sam Heilenbach is a Class of 2014 C/RHP from Lyon Township HS. Heilenbach displayed impressive arm strength behind the plate and on the mound. The strong 6-foot-1, 175-pound right-hander on the mound came from an over the top arm slot with a long and loose arm action. Heilenbach’s fastball sat at 79-81 mph. Heilenbach’s clean arm action was easy and will look to see a spike in velocity. Behind the plate, he threw a 2.07 pop time. Offensively, he displayed gap power and a level swing.
3. John McAllister, from Oak Park-River Forest HS, is a physical Class of 2014 RHP/3B who showcased as one of the premier arms at the event. The big 6-foot-2, 210-pound right-hander operated from two different arm slots - high- and low-¾ - with a fastball that sat at 78-80 mph. The low-3/4 arm slot produced impressive sink and run to his fastball, and looks to be a nasty out pitch. McAllister displayed a clean and quick arm action with some effort. His curveball flashed tight 11/5 shape and changeup showed fade down in the zone. At the plate, McAllister displayed impressive power while maintaining good balance throughout his swing.
4. Belgee Falkner is a 6-foot-2, 200-pound Class of 2014 catcher from Mt. Carmel HS. Falkner is an impressive physical specimen, one who possesses tremendous upside. The switch-hitting catcher showed legitimate power potential at the plate, especially from the right side. He consistently squared up the baseball from the right side. Falkner exhibited an explosive lower half and power to all fields. Defensively, Falkner threw a 2.19 pop time and was on the bag with his throws.
5. Sam Cybulski is an athletic 6-foot-2, 165-pound two-way athlete from Lyons Township HS. The Class of 2014 prospect displayed quick and fluid athletic movements at shortstop, which was evident in his 7.06 60. His athleticism translated in the field as well, as he exhibited solid hands and an accurate arm across the infield, in addition to concise lateral movements. At the plate, he showed an athletic setup. On the mound, Cybulski showcased a clean arm action while operating from a high ¾ arm slot. His fastball that sat at 75-77 mph. Cybulski showed some feel for a change up that displayed fade and was located down in the zone.
6. Joshua Smith is an athletically built Class of 2014 3B/RHP from Crystal Lake South HS who showed well in all facets of the game. The 6-foot-3, 175-pound possesses an immense amount of upside. Defensively, he displayed athletic actions and movements while playing through the baseball. At the plate, Smith exhibited an aggressive lower half and gap power with a level swing. On the mound, he showcased a long, free, and loose arm action with a fastball that sat at 76-78 mph. No doubt Smith will throw harder as he physically develops. His curveball flashed sharp break and change up displayed fade down in the strike zone.
7. Aaron Fuller is an athletic 5-foot-11, 170-pound Class of 2014 OF from St. Rita HS. Fuller performed well in all facets of the game. He showcased impressive bat speed and an explosive lower half. Fuller’s exceptional balance and level bat path allowed him to consistently find the barrel and hit line drives. In the field, Fuller displayed a solid arm (80 mph) and moved well laterally. Fuller further impressed by running a 7.09 60.
8. Rahman Williams, a Class of 2014 middle infielder from Morgan Park HS, is an athletic talent who will be a player to watch as he develops physically. The switch-hitting Williams was equally impressive from both sides of the plate. Williams showcased a slightly open setup with good rhythm and balance throughout his swing. Williams’ balanced swing translated into consistently hitting line drives. In the field, the 5-foot-9, 160-pound athlete moved exceptionally well, and displayed top-level actions and soft hands. Rahman's foot speed was also on display when he ran a 7.14 60.
9. Trystin Raikes, a Class of 2015 SS from Marquette HS, showcased as one of the top athletes, running an event-best 6.95 60. The lean 6-foot, 165-pound prospect displayed a short and smooth swing with gap power. In the field, the well-built athlete exhibited an accurate arm and moved well laterally.
- 10. Justin Reaves, a Class of 2014 OF from De La Salle HS, is an athletic player who showcased all the tools of success. At the plate, Reaves showed an explosive lower half and pull power while displaying a level, well-balanced swing. The 5-foot-7, 140-pound player in the field displayed some arm-strength (78 mph) and quick feet.
- 11. Max Larsen, from Lyons Township HS, is an athletic Class of 2014 OF. In the outfield, Larsen showcased a solid, accurate arm (77 mph) with some carry. Larsen played through the baseball and displayed a clean over the top release. At the plate, Larsen showcased a smooth, well-balanced swing that exhibited a level bat path. Larsen is a line drive hitter whose swing will develop additional power as he physically develops.
- 12. Micah Coffey is a lean 6-foot-1, 170-pound Class of 2014 MIF from Batavia HS. At the plate, the left-handed hitting Coffey displayed a level swing with gap power. In the field, the lean prospect exhibited solid actions and soft hands while playing through the baseball.
Other Standouts at the Event:
James Ariel, from De La Salle HS, is a Class of 2014 catcher. Behind the plate, James threw a 2.27 pop time and showed solid footwork. While hitting, the 5-foot-8, 125-pound player used all fields and displayed a level swing.
Vinny Atella, from Crystal Lake South HS, is a big Class of 2014 1B. The 6-foot, 190-pounder displayed solid hands and some athleticism around the bag. At the plate, Vinny showcased a quiet, level, well-balanced swing that found the barrel consistently hitting line drives.
Justin Blasinski, from Lakes HS, is a Class of 2015 C. The 5-foot-8, 180-pound left-hand hitting catcher at the plate displayed a short path and smooth load which translated into consistently hitting line drives.
Christian Bland is a Class of 2014 C/OF from Harlan HS. Bland is a 5-foot-4, 145-pound athletic player who displayed quick feet in the outfield. At the plate, Bland exhibited a well balanced, smooth swing which stayed level through the zone finding the barrel consistently.
James Boice, from Kelloggsville HS, is a 5-foot-5, 140-pound Class of 2014 MIF. In the field James exhibited a quick release and moved well laterally. James also displayed some foot speed running a 7.38 60.
Zach Cleinmark, from Olympia HS is a Class of 2014 MIF. In the field, the 5-foot-6, 145-pound player was solid in the field making all the plays and showcasing an accurate arm across the field. At the plate, Cleinmark found the barrel consistently.
Satchez Daleo, from Sircman Valley HS, is a Class of 2015 SS. The wiry 5-foot-11, 145-pound SS displayed solid hands in the field. At the plate, Daleo had a balanced swing.
James Davidson, from Morgan Park HS is a Class of 2014 OF/INF. The 5-foot-5, 130-pound players displayed an accurate solid arm (76 mph) from the OF. In the field, James also showcased athletic movements which was also shown during his 7.28 60. At the plate, James stayed level and displayed extension through the zone.
Christopher Delgadillo, from St. Rita HS is a Class of 2014 2B, was one of the top gloves from the event displaying high-level actions and instincts. Delgadillo showcased a clean and accurate arm across the infield. He further displayed soft hands while fielding the ball in an athletic position. At the plate, Delgadillo displayed a short, quick swing that sprayed line drives to all fields.
Christopher Garcia, from Central HS is a Class of 2015 SS/RHP. At the plate, the 5-foot-7, 160-pound player found the barrel and showcased a level swing. In the field, Garcia played well on the moved. On the mound, he operated from a ¾ arm slot with a fastball that topped at 70 mph.
Gabriel Grant, is a Class of 2014 INF/C from Brother Rice HS. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound infielder moved well glove side and displayed an accurate arm. He also while hitting showed some power potential.
Robert Gutierrez, a Class of 2014 3B/2B from De La Salle HS, showcased a quick bat and gap power. Gutierrez displayed a solid approach and good rhythm during his swing. The 5-foot-11, 160-pound athletic player displayed solid hands and an accurate arm across the infield.
Andrew Hogan, is a Class of 2014 SS from Harlan HS. The 5-foot-9, 140-pound player showcased quick feet and solid actions in the field. Hogan displayed a solid, accurate arm across the infield. At the plate, Hogan exhibited a short swing which stayed inside the baseball.
Alex Kiszkowski, from Schaumburg, is a Class of 2015 SS. The 5-foot-7, 125-pound player in the field displayed an accurate arm. At the plate, he setup in an open stance and consistently made contact with a level swing.
Trevor Marevka, is a big Class of 2014 C from Peotone HS. The 6-foot-2, 225-pounder threw a 2.29 pop time. He also displayed some power potential at the plate.
Dalton Mitchell, a Class of 2014 OF from Massac County HS, is a lean 6-foot, 150-pound prospect. In the outfield, Dalton showcased athletic movements while playing through the ball. Dalton displayed a solid, accurate arm (78 mph). On the mound, the right-hander topped out at 79 mph, sitting at 76-77 mph, with some run and sink. Mitchell also ran a 7.34 60.
Nick Muscat, is a lanky 6-foot-1, 145-pound, Class of 2014 SS from Antioch HS. In the field, Muskat displayed a quick and clean release. He also showed an aggressive approach at the plate displaying gap power.
Drew Smith, a Class of 2014 INF/RHP from Fenwick HS, displayed a short, level line drive swing at the plate. Smith exhibited good rhythm while consistently spraying line drives. In the field he displayed an accurate arm and soft hands. On the mound, Smith filled up the strike zone while operating from an over the top arm slot.
Tad Wegner, a Class of 2014 3B/C from Waubonsie Valley HS, is a left-handed hitter who showcased a well-balanced swing. Wegner consistently hit line drives up the middle. The 5-foot-10, 165-pound catcher also threw a 2.3 pop time.
Will Zitkus is a Class of 2014 OF from Grant HS. At the plate, Zitkus displayed a short, level swing that extended through the zone. He exhibited good rhythm while consistently hitting line drives. In the field, Zitkus displayed an accurate arm while playing through the baseball.