Elite Prospect Showcase Spotlight: LHP/1B Joe LaFiora
September 5, 2015
By Jacob Gill
Pennsylvania Assistant Director of Scouting
There are just over two months until PBR Pennsylvania's Elite Prospect Showcase on November 7th at Keystone State Baseball Academy in Manheim. Today, in the third in a series of previews on prospects who will be in attendance, we highlight Neumann-Goretti 2018 LHP/1B Joe LaFiora.
The southpaw sports a solidly built 5-foot-10, 195-pound frame with a strong lower half that lends itself to a powerful leg drive. He has a clean arm action and goody rhythm in his delivery, while kicking his front foot out of his balance point and occasionally working around his front side. As he learns to stay on-line with the plate, his fastball that has topped out at 79-mph will make a jump, given his arm stroke and relative ease of delivery. Secondary stuff has included a big-breaking low-60s curveball that varies from 12/6 to 1/7 in shape, depending on the outing, as well as a change-up at 69-70 that he is not afraid to throw to left-handed hitters.
At the plate, the left-handed hitter repeats his swing, keeping his top half quiet and his bottom half balanced. He has an aggressive approach and the ball comes off his bat well (81-mph exit velocity).
This event will mark about four and a half months since we last saw LaFiora, so we are looking forward to checking out the progress he has made. For a complete event roster as of today, click here.
Recent PA News
- PBRPlus The Buzz: Corrigan Commits To Arizona State9.04.15
- PA Rosters & Pitching Rotations Released for Eastern PA Fall Review9.04.15
- PBRPlus Summer Swing: Standout 2016 Hitters9.03.15
- PA Elite Prospect Showcase Spotlight: 3B/RHP Justin Wright9.03.15
- PBRPlus The Hotlist: Top Uncommitted 2016 Infielders9.02.15
- PA Unsigned Senior Spotlight: 1B/C Alex Hundiak9.02.15
- PA Elite Prospect Showcase Spotlight: RHP/3B Aidan Frye9.01.15
- PA Eastern PA Fall Review Spotlight: MIF/RHP Greg Grandelli8.31.15