INSIDE THE 2021 RANKINGS: CATCHER
April 6, 2020
New Episode LIVE now! -At The Yard Podcast
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - As we recently released our updated Class of 2021 state rankings we thought we'd provide you a closer look at a few of these prospects. Rankings are never easy and we certainly know they are not an exact science. Much of rankings is predicated on what our team of scouts have seen, but given the national scope of the Prep Baseball Report network, we are more than able to access a library of over 100,00 players nationwide to compare apples-to-apples.
It's a given that California is either 1 or 1a in terms of talent in any given year. There isn't that much debate as to who the top players are because they've generally been identified at a much younger age. After all, the top players are easily identified. However, given the amount of games, innings, at-bats, pitches our team has seen over the last two-to-three years of watching this class, we feel confident knowing that nobody in the industry has seen more players in addition to those easily identified from California than our collective team.
And because of that level of confidence we feel our rankings best reflect the overall talent in the state.
Earlier we looked at left-handed and right-handed pitchers. Now it's time for a few of the top ranked catchers in the state for 2021 class. You can read full available scouting reports and view available video by clicking on the the player name.
Durable catchers build that projects well at the next level. Shows excellent plate coverage and gap-to-gap power. Handles pitchers well, showing off his baseball IQ behind the dish. Above-average arm keeps his pop-times in the 1.94-2.04 range. Overall catching skill set makes him the top ranked catcher in the class.
Energetic and passionate player that makes his presence felt. Above-average bat speed coupled with a swing path that portrays a high on-plane percentage helps create his current power and projects well down the line.
The six-foot-five 205 pound catcher oozes projection with his raw tools. Offensively shows a quick bat with raw power to the gaps that has room for more with maturity and coaching. Arm projects as plus thanks to an 88 mph fastball from the mound and pop times at 1.94-2.08. Highest ceiling catcher in the class but not without question marks.
Natural ability both defensively and offensively make him a safe bet at the next level. Catch and throw is one of the quickest and most impressive in the class. No glaring holes in his game but plenty of room for improvement.
Solid overall feel for the catching position, excellent receiving skills, consistent throws and pop-times. Some speed and contact rate show the ability to slot in as a two or eight hole hitter. Small stature limits his ceiling but college projection looks good.
|Norcal Underclass Games (INVITE-ONLY)||CA||06/06||Islanders Field - Lathrop|
|Northern California ProCase (INVITE ONLY)||CA||06/13||Folsom Lake College|
|SoCal Underclass Games (INVITE ONLY)||CA||06/13||Hart Park|
|SoCal ProCase (INVITE ONLY)||CA||06/14||Hart Park|
|CA State Games ID (Norcal)||CA||06/16||Islanders Field - Lathrop|
|2020 PBR Future Games (California Invite)||CA||07/29||LakePoint Sports|
- CA PBR California 2023 Leaderboards: Fastball 11/28/23
- CA Class of 2024 Rankings Update 11/15/23
- CA San Diego Fall ID: Positional Leaderboards 11/13/23
- CA San Diego Fall ID: Swift Running Leaderboards 11/10/23
- CA San Diego Fall ID: TrackMan Hitting Leaderboards 11/08/23
- CA NorCal Underclass Game: Pitcher Reports 11/08/23
- CA San Diego Fall ID: Quick Hits 11/06/23
- CA SoCal Underclass Games: Outfielder Reports 11/06/23
- CA NorCal Underclass Game: INF/OF Reports 11/02/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Spotlights 11/01/23
- CA NorCal Underclass Game: Catchers Reports 10/31/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: Positional Leaderboards 10/27/23
- CA SoCal Uncommitted Games: Positional Leaderboards 10/26/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: Swift Running Leaderboards 10/25/23
- CA SoCal Uncommitted Games: Swift Running Leaderboards 10/24/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: Quick Hits; Others to Know 10/23/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: TrackMan Pitching Leaderboards 10/22/23
- CA SoCal Uncommitted Games: TrackMan Pitching Leaderboards 10/20/23
- CA NorCal Uncommitted Games: TrackMan Hitting Leaderboards 10/19/23
- CA SoCal Uncommitted Games: TrackMan Hitting Leaderboards 10/18/23