PBR Illinois Player Of The Week: RHP/1B Ben Hernandez
May 8, 2019
De La Salle, junior right-handed pitcher and first baseman, Ben Hernandez, has been named this week’s PBR Player of the Week thanks to his outstanding performance at the plate and on the mound for the Meteors.
Hernandez, a UIC commit and the No. 2 prospect in the Illinois’ 2020 class, led De La Salle to a 2-0 record last week in impressive fashion. First, let's start with what he did at the plate. In the two wins, Hernandez went a combined 3-for-4 with three home runs, five RBI, four runs scored and two walks.
Hernandez’ most impressive all-around performance came in a 4-0 win over St. Ignatius on Sunday. At the plate, the right-handed hitter went 2-for-2 with two, two-run home runs, four RBI’s and a walk; accounting for all of the Meteors runs. He also started the game on the mound and twirled a complete-game shutout. In his seven inning gem, Hernandez scattered four hits, struck out 14 and walked one. He threw 100 pitches with 68% of them landing for strikes.
In a 4-3 win over No. 2 Lincoln-Way East earlier in the week, Hernandez went 1-for-2 with a home run, walk and two runs scored.
Hernandez, who is committed to UIC as a pitcher, put together a memorable bullpen at this winter’s Preseason All-State. The talented right-hander has only continued to improve his stock since then and should draw plenty of pro attention leading up to the 2020 MLB draft.
Below is a scouting report and video from Hernandez’ performance this winter at the Preseason All-State.
(Preseason All-State; 2/10/19)
Preseason All-State: Illinois-Chicago commit. 6-foot-2, 185-pound right-handed pitcher, sturdy build on large frame. Tall and fall delivery is level and on line, works easy while landing closed and athletic finish. Arm action is easy and electric, plus arm speed, high ¾ slot. Plus fastball, sat easy 93-94 mph, late heavy feel, works with arm side run. Changeup was a plus offering, fastball arm speed yields deception, plus feel and action to arm side, 84-87 mph. Curveball is tight and short, 11/5 shape, 76-79 mph, sharp action and feel. Premium starting pitchers profile, 2020 MLB draft prospect.
For his efforts, Hernandez has been named the PBR Player of the Week for the week of April 29 - May 5.
2019 PBR PLAYER OF THE WEEK AWARD WINNERS
- IL PBR Player of the Week: RHP/INF Evan Gray 5/22/19
- IL PBR Illinois Player of the Week: 1B/OF Adam Snedden 5/15/19
- IL PBR Illinois Player Of The Week: RHP/1B Ben Hernandez 5/08/19
- IL PBR Illinois Player of the Week: OF Connor Milton 5/01/19
- IL PBR Illinois Player of the Week: INF/RHP Nathan Hardman 4/24/19
- IL PBR Illinois Player of the Week: OF/LHP Riley Phillips 4/17/19
- IL PBR Illinois Player of the Week: C Matt McCormick 4/10/19
- IL PBR Illinois Player of the Week: RHP Tyler Statler 4/03/19
- IL PBR Illinois Player of the Week: INF Mikey Kocen 3/27/19
- IL PBR Illinois Player of the Week: INF Marquis Jackson 3/20/19